Need some advice

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
17 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 3:44am
via Android

While stretching out yesterday I had my 8 year old son jump on my back mid-stretch. Needless to say he's reinjured an old car accident injury. Need some advice on good lower to mid back stretches. And when healed some exercises to strengthen it. I managed to pull through my 37 min program workout earlier today. But I fear I've done more harm then good. Have a 34 min program workout tomorrow though. Kind of hope I don't have to blow that one though.

12 Jan
What was the prior injury. Muscular or disc? Are you currently having any symptoms going down your leg? If the injury is more muscular the cat / cow stretch is a good lower back stretch. You could also do single or double knees to chest and child's pose. If you injury was more disc related.(typically symptoms referred to the legs)it is more common for the disc to protrude posterior and you would want to avoid flexion based activities and do more extension like prone press ups or prone on elbows. Once your symptoms calm down look at core strengthening(planks, prone...
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 5:41pm
via Android

All muscular. I have scoliosis as well. But it has never been much of an issue.

12 Jan
Better that is all muscular but the scoliosis can complicate the stretching and strengthening because with the scoliosis you have tight and weak muscles in the upper part of the curve and the opposite(tightness and weakness) in the correcting lower curve. Not to mention the side bending and rotational components of the curve. I have no doubt that your scoliosis has never been much of an issue but it could be later on down the road if the issues are not addressed. The prior stretches for the low back and core exercises should work for you. I work as a...
12 Jan
Check out the video clips by Ed Paget. "How to correct scoliosis with exercise and stretches." It gives great advise on stretches and exercises, but you do have to know what direction your curve is.
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 6:16pm
via Android

Thanks a lot, will check it out right after breakfast

12 Jan
Any time. Hope it helps.
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Jan 13, 2014 1:24am
via Android

Well I tried out the stretches and it brought almost instant relief. Ill definitely wait till that's 100% before I add in any of the strengthening exercises. As for tonights workout. Ill try to modify as much as I can and possibly utilize the bench for as much as I can. As laying on the bench should stabilize my back and keep my exercises a little more concentrated.

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 6:44pm
via Android

Just wanted to touch base and see how the back was doing.  Good I hope.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51