Spinal issues

4 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Feb 12, 2014 7:44am
via iOS
I was injured in a work accident resulting in 3 herniated discs in my thoracic spine. Before the injury I was highly active, cycling and playing rugby regularly. In the past four months I have been advised to do very little physical activity, however I am going crazy. Have recently started some basic recumbent bike riding for short intervals as well as some elliptical without the hand rails as to limit the twisting on my spine. I feel exceptionally limited in what I can and cannot do. I have been highly sedentary through this process and my body is not happy with me at all. I recently had my second epidural spinal injection with five trigger point shots as well. Anyone been in this boat and can offer me something more ths. "Do what your doctor says?" Because of the state I live in and this being a work comp issue I do not get the luxury of choosing my doctor and she suggests doing nothing. There have to be more options.
Thank you all
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Feb 12, 2014 8:28am
via Android

Seems like a difficicult situation to give advice on. Since its hard for me to understand what your injury means for the body at this stage. And ofc i cant understand how movememt feels for you at this time. Thats why my advice would be try out light movements like you are doing now. And dont overdo it. Stay patient and your situation will become better in terms of working out.

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Feb 12, 2014 5:32pm
via Android

Because it is a workers comp. issue you really need to be careful about going beyond your MDs recommendations.  If your work gets wind of you lifting weights or working out they can deny your claim and then you will become responsible for any medical bills.  Typically if it last longer than 90 days you are able to go outside of who they tell you to see and get a second opinion.  It sucks for now I'm sure but try and be patient so you don't lose your comp. claim.  Herniations in the thoracic region are less common than in the low back and neck because with the attachment of the thoracic spine with the ribs they are more stable and move less and harder to herniate.  That being said, with time and treatments to reduce the herniated disc size people generally have less issues in the future.

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Feb 13, 2014 5:04am
via Android

Water aerobics possibly? It'll keep weight off your spine.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51