Torn ACL but love to run. Any advice?

6 posts | Original | Recent
34 Posts
May 16, 2014 7:57am

Used to run 10ks easy, now limited to 5k, some days 3 k only due to rising pain. I wear a support band under the knee as well and usually run after stretching and other workouts on workout trainer app. I also take Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM and another formula with Hyaloronic Acid. I know I probably should not be running so much, but it's part of my life style along with different workout programs. Anyone advice other than the usual low-impact options like swimming , elliptical? running out of ideas.

16 May
I am also a runner and can't imagine not being able to run although I'm still new to it. When I first started out, 4 weeks into training myself to run, I developed tendonitis in my left ankle. It hurt so bad I thought I had a pressure fracture. Thank gosh I didn't. Anyways I went to a physical therapist one time to figure out what I can do to keep up with my progress because I was instructed by my sports medicine doc to not run for 4 weeks. I was given certain exercises to do to strengthen my...
17 May
I took a 6 month break after the tear and for almost a year I barely did cardio ...I started slowly again, but I've never been back to normal... just wondering if there is anything anyone knows that I can do,,....apart from giving up running... =(
01 Jun
Thank you, I just ellipticals are beyond boring and I never push myself as much than when I run. But you re right, I ll try it again as an occasional substitute. I wish there was a natural supplement other than what I already take.
24 Apr
Research more with a sport orthopaedic because Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)is a complex topic that needs professional advice. Wish you all the best .
25 Apr
Oben a thanks i have to I am fine these days - without surgery
1 Post
Jul 8, 2014 4:13am
via iOS
Get surgery. Not as bad as you imagine. However, if you only plan on running in straight lines for the rest of you life you might be fine withou surgery.

201 Posts
Jul 8, 2014 4:30am
via Android

First off sorry about the knee, torn ACL is the worst!! I would recommend just bite the bullet and get surgery to get back running your 10k without any pain If not I have heard of people even athletes still competing with torn ACL's so there is hope! Just strengthen your legs so much so your muscles are able to absorb the contact and pressure caused by running. Ice, take inflammatory, and elevate best of luck

22 Posts
Jul 11, 2014 6:27am
via Android

I tore my ACL and had the patella tendon surgery. It was rough and has consistent pain, but it's extremely stable. I did it to maintain my sports life. I have heard of great results from cadaver surgery for runners. Quick recovery time, not much long term pain, and enough stability for a runner without all the lateral movement.

If you don't have surgery, get used to the elliptical. If you don't do something, you will subconsciously use the other leg more and it can lead to other injuries. It happens all the time.

34 Posts
Apr 24, 2016 11:05am

very delayed response, but felt necessary to say that i never opted for surgery but alternative self-healing methods. i m doing very well, even back to jump-kicks and plyo. just very advanced yoga poses will give me trouble. other than that, i m 95% ok. did it all with Egoscue/Yoga/extensive stretching and supplementation. 

1 Post
15 hours ago
via Android

Allen Jakaiallen 0

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51