Shin Splints

2 posts | Original | Recent
78 Posts
Jul 27, 2014 5:46am
via Android

OK, I think I have shin splints. My shins don't usually hurt, but I felt some pain after a 5k run and decided to take some precautions and stop working legs for a little while. I iced them a little at first but stopped. I didn't notice any pain anymore, so when I went to the gym today I decided to try and run on the treadmill. Nope, I got up to a jog and had to stop. I don't feel pain on a day to day basis or while I'm walking, just when I run. So, my two questions are: 1. Do I actually have shin splints? 2. What can I do to help my shins get better? Thanks

11 Posts
Jul 27, 2014 2:00pm
via Android

I have chronic shin splints, and I found out by seeing a physiotherapistNot only can they diagnose it, but also they can treat it to a certain extent.  Shin splints can be caused by many thingsMy calf muscles are naturally very tight, especially after I had a big growth spurt a few years agoSome cases are caused by the shoes you wear, so if you are running in old shoes you should look into getting a pair of new running shoesAlso, if you are new to running and try to push yourself too much, that might have caused them as well.   If you run on hard surfaces (treadmill, concrete etc.) it could make them worseI would suggest getting them checked out by a physiotherapist so that they can be properly diagnosedInstead of running on the treadmill, you can go on a stair climber, an elliptical, a stationary bike, or a rowing machineAll of these are good cardio workouts but they don't aggravate the shin splintsHope this helps

27 Jul
OK, thanks. I did notice that the elliptical didn't aggravate them.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51