Very swollen painful calves after 5k run.

2 posts | Original | Recent
2 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 12:46pm
via iOS
I lost 125lbs and I'm extremely active and would consider myself quite athletic. My legs are insanely built and I often get complimented on them but after a run this morning my calves were in a great deal of pain. I'm not sure if I hurt myself or if I'm just building more muscles and they're just sore. Here's a picture.
28 Jul
If that's muscle....WOAH I would NOT wanna get kicked by you. :) But you can tell by the pain if its a sore/pulled muscle or if it's a swelling. Either way you need to rest that monster. And increased blood circulation will help the recovery time. So massage it
28 Jul
If you have a foam roller, roll out your calf muscles on them. If you don't have a foam roller, look into getting one or something similar because they are great for helping with tight muscles.
29 Jul
Hopefully you didnt pull anything, it could be a bad cramp which if thats the case make sure you stretch a lot and drink plenty of water. Its good to get potassium in you to avoid cramps so bananas are good.
30 Jul
If it's both your calves then I wouldn't worry too much, just foam roll, stretch and wait and they'll recover. If it's one that's stolen and sore then maybe it's an injury.
31 Jul
I had that problem and I started foam rolling and stretching really good before and after my runs I don't have that problem anymore.
78 Posts
Jul 29, 2014 8:57pm
via Android

I find that stretching a little before a run and even more after a run helps keep my calves from being too tight. Also, I can feel it in my muscles when I don't drink enough water. Recently I also ran a 5k and had a sore left calf. Stretching and resting it helped a lot. Hope it feels better.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51