Shin splints

7 posts | Original | Recent

10253888_10203585911681937_1379548194336391334_n_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 26, 2014 8:38pm
via Android

I have shin splints in one leg. Any advice as to remedy this?

26 Sep
Maybe thicker shoes, thicker insoles
27 Sep
Ice will help, compression socks, foam roll should help, and better shoes
27 Sep
Rest is always the best, then gradually get back into it. The suggestions made by Denzel, can also help if you don't want to stop running for a short time. If you do decide to rest you could do bike or water running workouts to maintain your cardio gains. Good luck
27 Sep
Had the problem for years. Learned from tennis coach to tap foot--as part of warmup. Stand with legs close together. First leg--Leave heel on ground. Tap several times. Alternate feet. Do several times just until it starts to burn, but not enough to feel real fatigue in the shin. Only thing that ever worked for me.
28 Sep
Try a good pair of running shoes. You may also want to try running on a softer surface like grass until those shins feel better.
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Sep 26, 2014 11:32pm
via Android

What is it from. Usually it is doing too much before you are ready.

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 7:57pm
via Android

I used to have this issue all the time. I paid a trainer for two sessions and she showed me how to stretch my calfves out real good before running. If I started running and felt the shin splints she had me stop and stretch it out some more. After a few days of that I can run now without any shin splints.
Best one that worked for me was to stand on one foot and put the opposite foot in the air (6-8 inches off the ground). Then I would point my toes toward the ground in a three step pattern.
So point down, bring back flat, point down, bring back flat, and on the third one I'd point and hold the position so my toes pointed towards the ground. This totally works for me.
Sorry its kind of hard to explain. Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much.
Let me know if I can clarify.

Good luck!

Image_thumb
37 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 9:47pm
via Android

When I get sin splints, I spell out the alpha bet with my foot and it almost always works for me the time I'm done they feel better and in about half an hour after they are gone

27 Sep
I had shin splints for years and years even to the point had stress fractures , i started at an athletics club and learnt about the body rollers and ice baths now it doesnt matter if i spint a 100 yards , play a game of rugby or run a marathon shin splints are of the pastz
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Sep 28, 2014 5:26am
via Android

I just had this problem, at least the initial stages, and compression sleeves really helped

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Sep 28, 2014 5:11pm
via Android

Found this apart of an daily wellness tip letter I get.
Prevent it: Stand on a low step and face downstairs, holding onto a railing, with heels on the edge and toes hanging off. Keeping your legs straight, point toes downward and then lift upward repeatedly as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Do two sets. Repeat three times daily.

10253888_10203585911681937_1379548194336391334_n_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 28, 2014 7:07pm
via Android

Thanks for all your responses, it's really appreciated.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51