Crappy knees

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 7, 2015 9:58am
via Android

To make a long story short, I smashed my knees pretty bad some years ago and it took long for them to heal. I also had jobs where I stood up for most part of the day, sometimes with work days up to twelve hours. Sometimes my knees felt like they've been through a meet grinder when I got home.

Now, I love leg day and squats are my favorite exercise. But sometimes (okay, often) I completely trash my knees, they swell up and the pain is absolutely horrible for a couple of days. Is there ANYTHING I could do apart from, you know, giving up squats? It's mostly soft tissue that's the problem, not the joint or ligaments.

07 Mar
It's mostly osteoarthritis. Try to avoid flexion position of the knees. Reduce wait and develop well strong quadriceps muscles. Do exercise with out putting load on your knees . Just modify you program. Take pain killers properly. You may need to consult physician. I hope this helps
07 Mar
No, not osteoarthritis! That sounds horrible. Are you sure? I googled and the symptoms do sound similar to mine. Maybe I should see a doctor. When I'm in pain my knees hurt the most under flexion and complete extension, so I usually rest them lying down with a pillow under my legs so they are in a slightly bent resting position.
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Mar 7, 2015 12:22pm
via Android

Make sure your form is correct and dont over lift as the softer/weaker muscles take a battering. 

This was my problem when I first did sqauts and dodgy right knee,  my form was wrong and shocking electric pain used to strike through my knee.  I had forgot about it, apart from the usual ache now and again

Also try knee compression supports as they are supposed to help, I always use knee length compression shorts in gym and kickboxing!

07 Mar
I usually don't feel pain while working out, it comes afterwards. I think I might have to do some other kinds of exercise targeting my legs and building stronger muscle to support my knees.
08 Mar
Have you had them checked out by doc...always best to get an experts opinion
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Mar 7, 2015 1:27pm
via Android

Have the same problem. Make sure your knees are always at least 2 inches BEHIND your toes. Also preferably have your butt bent back well when doing lunges. And most important: stop doing wall sits - it is an immense challenge for the knees and totally wrecked mine in the beginning. Better choose bridge pose, it almost does the same job on the muscles but is way better for bad knees

07 Mar
Aagh not wall sits too, another one of my favorites! I'll focus on leg exercises lying down and on hands and knees (after I'm not in pain anymore) and see if that helps me. I'm paying attention to form when doing squats and I rather do five with good form than ten sloppy ones.
08 Mar
Exactly. Form is everything, especially when you already experience problems. Hope it helps!
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 7, 2015 3:41pm
via Android

Peeps, hit me with your best leg and glute workouts that take the load off the knees!

07 Mar
Or give some suggestions on what I can do instead of squats and lunges in workouts.
Image_thumb
138 Posts
Mar 8, 2015 5:56am
via Android

DOGGY STYLE «R.J» Glute Finisher *E ..All the best with your knee..

08 Mar
Thank you, Vishal! It feels better already but I need to start taking proper care of them. :)
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 2:27am
via iOS
It's really important to heat your knee before working out and icing it after. A workout that really helped me was leg lifts. All you do is lay on your back, keep one leg straight and bend the other. Squeeze your butt, keep your butt tucked, squeeze your thigh muscle (I'm blanking on the name right now), and lift. Don't bend your knee. Once you start to feel yourself having to use your knee or hip to lift your leg, stop the exercise. Also, work on lunges and make sure you're using your butt to lift you up instead of your thigh muscle. When you use your thigh muscle, it often pulls at your knee causing stress, thus making your knee hurt more. Good luck!
20 Mar
Thanks! I did some lunges today and it seems reverse lunges are the best for me. I see how using your quads might cause you to put unnecessary strain on your knees.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51