Side pain

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Aug 20, 2015 2:32pm
via iOS
Hey everybody,

Got a question, I want to pick up running again, but within 500 meters I get this stabbing pain on my lower right side. I tried to take it easy and run slowely but even than within 3 minutes I have to stop. I'm not out of breath, my leggs feels fine so I don't know what to do. If I run any slower, I walk... Tips are more than welcome!!

Anca
20 Aug
Do you have the well known 'stitches'?? In that case it's most likely a problem of breathing. Try to breath in through your nose, out through your mouth, slow and steady in line with your steps (amount of steps for each breath depends on tempo, try 2 or 4 steps per inhalation and 2 or 4 per exhalation)
20 Aug
That used to happen to me last year. I would only run for a bit and then my side would hurt. As soon as it started hurting, I would slow down to a walk and walk until the pain stopped. Once it stopped, I would start running again and do this over and over. And now my side doesn't hurt at all anymore, no matter how long I run. I guess it's just because if you don't run regularly your body isn't used to it but after a while once you get into better running shape and your body gets...
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Aug 20, 2015 2:52pm
via iOS
I tried that, breath deeply in through my nose and out through my mouth.. Doesn't work :( 
20 Aug
I have the same problem, and I'm just taking it slow and breathing, go lower on the speed but never stop, and is getting better, now I can resist more but I still have it
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Aug 20, 2015 9:13pm
via Android

You're not breathing from the lower part of your lungs. Put your hand on your stomach and breathe deeply. If you're breathing from your lower lungs, your stomach should rise and fall. Practice this even when you're not running in order to bring your body accustom this using the deeper parts of your lungs. If that makes sense.
Other things come into play such as how fast you start off, how long between eating , sodium levels, blah blah. Treat running like swimming. Give it some time between eating and running.

Image_thumb
1 Post
Aug 21, 2015 12:04am
via Android

Here is a link that will give you some info about it and hopefully some ideas to help give you some releif. Hope it helps.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-side-pain.htm

21 Aug
Thanx!!
21 Aug
No problem.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51