How can I cure a knee injury from running?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
49 Posts
Jan 21, 2013 10:39am
via Android

I only feel pain on my left knee. The pain is on the side of my inner leg. On my first runs everything was definitely fine, I felt some pain in my lower leg but I recover after a day of rest. When I had a rest for maybe 3days then went back the running that's when the knee pain occured after my run. Then I also noticed that if I keep active the pain somehow goes away. But if like I have been seating for a long period then it would trigger the pain when I stand up so I need to shift my weight to my right. I hit the gym last week to keep active and put less strain on my knee but when I ran and went back home today the pain isn't going away. I had an afternoon nap and I felt the pain when I woke up. It is really bugging me. The shoes that I use are merrel waterpro maipo. I don't consider the injury major but it sure as hell affects my everyday routine. Should I rest from running? Or should I still run? Any advice from runners out there? It would really be a big help. Sorry for the long post though.

Image_thumb
29 Posts
Jan 21, 2013 11:25am
via Android

Sounds like a ACL, PCL, MCL or LCL tear in your knee, you need to start Strengthening your knee with leg workouts, wearing a knee brace could help. If you Continue to have problems go see a Physician

21 Jan
I did went to the gym and planning on making it a habit. I did dumbells, leg lifts and leg presses. I'm seeing that my legs are starting to get lean. My legs are definitely tighter than before and I notice the groove that the muscles have form in the legs to the knees(I hope that makes sense). But why isn't my knees improving yet? Any excercise you can suggest for my knees?
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 21, 2013 11:39am
via Android

Its an overuse injury (tendonitis, bursitis) or a strain.  Doesn't sound like a tear, but if you continue the exercise it could lead to a tear.  I would rest it for 2weeks and see how it feels then go from there. 

21 Jan
I have just been getting used to running and I do enjoy it now. It sucks feeling pain where there wasn't any before. Rest for two weeks sounds like slacking off too much for me now. It's funny because I don't even like walking before and much more the idea of running. Especially having pouring sweat on my face but now that I have embraced it I don't want to get back to being a couch potato.
26 Feb
I agree with Jason. I would take 2 weeks or so off. Better to be safe than sorry. Think about the long term benefits. Your joints might just thank you for it :)
Img_7971_thumb
1 Post
Jan 21, 2013 11:54am
via Android

You mention that the pain goes away or isnt noticed if you are active but triggers after inactivity.  That indicates it isnt a tear but a connective tissue inflammation.  Tendonitis or the like.  The key to healing is reducing the inflammation with motrin or advil, but also atregthening the muscles around the knee.  Tendinitis is often from weakness in the muscles where the tenson inserts.  Ice massage , motrin and patience.  Warm up your knees before running.  Most people dont warm up properly or stretch correctly.  Injuries happen from weaknesses, being too tight and improper cooldown. 

21 Jan
I do stretches and warm up before I leave the house then I walk for a couple of minutes before jogging or running . Thank you for reminding me, looking back I should have at least done knee rotations. I might hhve neglecting loosing my knees before running.
Image_thumb
42 Posts
Feb 26, 2013 9:27am
via iOS
Try running on the front off your foot (useually peolpe run on the heel). Google barefoot running. If your still in pain see a doctor.
Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Mar 2, 2013 1:50am
via iOS
Please click on the link below for helpful running tips that are evidence based and supported/provided by medical professionals. 
If you continue having knee pain, I would strongly encourage seeking your physician for an exam and potential referral to a Physical Therapist who can better evaluate your running mechanics and help create an appropriate exercise plan for you. Best of luck!
http://www.moveforwardpt.com/Resources/Detail.aspx?cid=e9cc487f-3379-4cd2-9583-b303c22dd004
Image_thumb
32 Posts
Mar 2, 2013 2:55am
via Android

A few tears ago i was training for a marothon and my hip started given shit. But i just keep on going. A month and a half b4 the race it hurt so bad it shut me down completly and i didnt run for months. Point is listen to ur body. I no u dont want to slow down but if u dont u may end up sitting a hell of alot longer than wat u need to at this point.

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 12, 2013 9:13am
via Android

Kyle is right strengthin your knee keep elevated when not using it if swolen ice it... could be many things pulled muscle to it being tore id its worse see doctor

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Sports Tracker Forums

Runners

9 topics, 37 posts

Welcome Wagon

3 topics, 23 posts

Motivation & Support

10 topics, 75 posts

Help

24 topics, 89 posts

Feedback