I have shin splints and I need help

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
44 Posts
Mar 23, 2013 4:19pm
via iOS
Hey I need help because I don't know any tips on how to get rid of this pain while I'm running (my shin splints) Help needed please!
23 Mar
Hi Adrian ! I'm a certified personal trainer, but I'm not a doctor by any means. I have one of my clients that has shin splints and I have her strengthen the front of her legs, because sometimes your calf muscles will be stronger causing you to be stuck with plantar flexion rather than the normal neutral position of your foot. You might want to try doing toe lifts every night (back against a wall , lift toes and keep your heels on the ground as you lift your toes.) Also, massaging and foam rolling your calves daily might help,...
23 Mar
Shin splints are normally caused by overuse or when an athlete ramps up training. The best way to get rid of them is to rest them. You can speed up recovery some by icing them 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours, take ibuprofen or aspirin to reduce swelling, and find some exercises to strengthen the muscles in your shin area. One exercise that can be done is sitting in an office chair with roller wheels and simply pulling yourself forward with your feet. You may want to look into custom orthodic insoles for your shoes as well.
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Mar 23, 2013 9:48pm
via iOS
If you are running, it could be your shoes.  The cushioning in your shoes will break down.  When I first started running, I had this problem once.  It was my shoes.  Once I got a new pair, the problem went away.  You also need to make sure that you are wearing the right kind of shoes based on your gait.
Image_thumb
44 Posts
Apr 19, 2013 2:40am
via iOS
Thanks everyone

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51