Back injuries

14 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
217 Posts
Mar 25, 2013 9:45pm
via iOS
My backs really aches from doing a lot of floor based work to try and tone up my stomach- are there any ab based workouts that aren't fully reliant on sit-ups, crunches and other floor based exercises?:')& is there any stretches that you would recommend to help prevent/ cure backache?:-)
Image_thumb
226 Posts
Mar 25, 2013 10:19pm
via iOS
To stretch your back, stick to yoga poses like cobra, downward facing dog, camel, plow, ect. Do these slowly and stop immediately if you feel severe pain. The best thing you could do for your back, though, is rest. If you want to work out your abs, planks are the best. Planks not only strengthen you abs, but also they strengthen you back and shoulders. Furthermore, the typical ab routine will eventually make you waist wide due to the strengthening of the outer abdominal muscles. As a girl, would stick to static/isometric ab workouts to keep your waist nice and trim.
26 Mar
I didn't realise that I would get wider! Thanks for letting me know! Are there any specific workouts you would suggest?
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Mar 25, 2013 11:51pm
via iOS
Hanging leg raises are a perfect non impact ab  sculpter. Grab a high bar anywhere and bring ur knees up to your stomach, make sure to keep tension on ur lower abs! Torso twist while standing are a good tightener for ur obliques, twist as hard as you can stand!
26 Mar
Hanging leg raises will make your abs really big.
26 Mar
they are terrific! never made my abs 'bigger' tho,and ive been doind them for 15 years! high reps around 50 in a set, try them
Image_thumb
15 Posts
Mar 26, 2013 1:51am
via Android

planks really are effective when it comes to ab workouts.

Image_thumb
226 Posts
Mar 26, 2013 1:15pm
via iOS
I would say defiantly planks. Planks work your internal abdominal muscles, so they will make you more tone. Stick to isometrics like planks, leg lift holds, v-sit holds, ect. Any workouts that hold are good for your internal abdominals. Beware of side planks, though, they work your external obliques and internal obliques. Working your external obliques will definitely make your waist wider. Other exercises that work your external obliques are oblique crunches, side bends, weighted side bends, and Russian twists. A good internal oblique workout is torso twists, because they involve twisting without much resistance, so it won't make your waist bigger.
Image_thumb
217 Posts
Mar 27, 2013 8:41pm
via iOS
Thank you!:-) can you link any workouts that you would suggest?:')
Image_thumb
21 Posts
Mar 27, 2013 8:51pm
via Android

Do pull ups, if you have that luxury,  they work everything you want

Image_thumb
226 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 5:34pm
via iOS
Planks To The Max

I recommend doing several of these everyday. They will tone your core without the risk of bulking.

Good luck!
Image_thumb
217 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 8:04pm
via iOS
Thankyou!:-)
Image_thumb
176 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 8:21pm
via Android

Try hip-ups, mountain climbers, and planks. Try doing crunches on a stability ball. I've found some great workouts with the stability ball at ab-workouts-guide/stability ball. They have low impact on your back. Also try 2 Min Full Plank Challenge, Multi-Plank Challenge, and Ball Blaster.

Image_thumb
217 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 9:13pm
via iOS
28 Mar
Crunches are awful for your back and neck
Image_thumb
217 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 9:24pm
via iOS
As I've come to realise, I want to do a short workout each morning for my abs, I really need to find one that doesn't use the floor so much!
28 Mar
As you've probably also come to realize a lot of ab workouts if not most involve laying on the floor, if your working out at home. Try laying down with hands behind neck and raise legs 90 degrees it's not so hard on the neck or back it'll give you that "v" if you already have one it'll define it, as well work your abs
Image_thumb
217 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 9:37pm
via iOS
Thankyou!
Image_thumb
54 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 11:07pm
via iOS
Along with plank variations and yoga, I was also going to suggest an stability ball. A lot of floor based moves can be modified to do on the ball, but it is less impact on your back. Love my ball!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51