Tips on avoiding running injuries

19 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 1:00am
via Android

Any tips on avoiding running injuries? I started running a few weeks ago and am getting shin splints and sore knees!

18 Apr
Have good pair of shoes ,warmup walk run walk run cool down . Run on even flat tracks...
15 Jan
There are many studies showing that landing on the ball of your feet first reduces running injuries. Look it up.
Image_thumb
48 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 1:09am
via iOS
May sound obvious but stretch, and drink lots of water to lubricate joints.
Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 1:24am
via iOS
I agree with Michael
Icon_missing_thumb
33 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 1:50am
via Android

I agree with other two replies also take maybe start off walking and work yourself up to a full run. Take breaks in between for more stretching. After every run take a hot bath or shower to relax those muscles and bones.

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 1:57am
via Android

Yeah, I've been working my way up to running, but I will try stretching more and the hot shower! Thanks! (:

Image_thumb
69 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 3:09am
via Android

Don,t go too fast , too early.....causes shin splits.

Ask your local running shoe store for info, learn to run clinics, advice, buy shoes there......not at target or sears or low quality place.   You get what you pay for, have to protect your feet. Start gently, sign up for a 5km race, work to a short term goal.

Icon_missing_thumb
33 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 3:39am
via Android

Yep Jeff brings up a good point. You gotta have some good suportive running shoes. Now run forest run....

Image_thumb
56 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 3:42am
via iOS
Kinda what Indis said but make sure you keep your feet relaxed and roll with your feet...
Image_thumb
42 Posts
Apr 18, 2013 6:11am
via iOS
Shoes are also an issue - get some shoes that fits your runningstyle (get prof.help to do so) or try to run like the barefootrunners on the front of your foot instead of the heel
24 Apr
...and I got injured after a run yesterday! A minor sprained toe from walking acros the street after the run. Isent it ironic
Apr 19, 2013 1:28am
via iOS
Ice baths.. Hot showers loosen up your muscles.. Our cross country coach told us over and over not to take long hot showers . They slow your pace down so much, and make you feel like crap when you run. Trust me Ice baths work. Been running for a longg time ! I've had Shin splints , and stress fractors in my shins .
19 Apr
Who would take a hot shower before running? I wouldn't necessarily take a cold one either though? Wt?
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 20, 2013 10:54pm
via Android

Thank you all so much! Your tips have been extremely helpful! :D

369360_100000536027689_2068288892_n_thumb
20 Posts
Apr 21, 2013 1:13pm
via Android

1. Warm up, before running.
2. Run. Set your goals, for examble 5 km in 2.5 months, then take a programm, you can find nike running 5 km beginners program.
3. Warm up, after running.
Special tips:
1. Right shoes.
2. Hidratation.
3. Recovery time (normally rest 1 day)
4. Running technic. Follow this and one week later tell me, how is going.

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Apr 21, 2013 3:57pm
via iOS
Wear the right type of running shoes, run in safe areas(parks, side walks) pay attention to where your stepping. And hit me up on kik : Countryboykody
Icon_missing_thumb
88 Posts
Dec 18, 2013 8:12am
via iOS
Ice baths work... They suck... But best way to recover from longer runs.  Also try filling a Dixie paper cup with water with a tongue depressor in it and freezing it... Comes out looking like a Popsicle... Then rub it up and down your shin to help with shin splints
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Dec 18, 2013 8:21am
via Android

I get shin splints and read somewhere to do calf raises to prevent them. Not sure if it works but I'm currently doing them every other day.

Image_thumb
16 Posts
Dec 18, 2013 10:37am
via Android

I find that if im starting to get pain in my legs, I run on grass or sand bair footed. sand is the best for it, plus its a better work out.

Michael-statue_thumb
7 Posts
Dec 18, 2013 12:16pm
via Android

Give your body time to get used to the distance.

Image_thumb
17 Posts
Dec 18, 2013 12:21pm
via Android

buy a good pair of shoes and run on the plain.

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Dec 19, 2013 1:31am
via Android

Wear good supporting shoes(depending on how much you run your shoes can loose there support in as little as 4 months)
Avoid running on hard or uneven surfaces. If you are running on the sides of a road remember that the are often banked for water drainage which can throw you gait mechanics off and stress you shins.  Look for stretches for your gastrocs, soleus, anterior and posterior tibial muscles.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51