5 posts | Original | Recent
2 Posts
Apr 30, 2013 11:28pm
via Android

Will my lungs ever get stronger? I dont smoke an have been active all my life pretty much an love hiking an jogging etc..but i get out of breath fast an once after i jogged i coughed for the rest of the evening an could still feel it in my lungs the next day. Is there any lung exercise to help? I can do 30 min cardio full strength an im fine..

1 Post
Apr 30, 2013 11:31pm
via Android

Are you breathing out of your mouth and nose?

30 Apr
Yes I do.. an I try pacing myself an breathe in through nose an out through mouth..
71 Posts
Apr 30, 2013 11:34pm
via Android

Try doing Pilates workouts online/ youtube. They really work on breathing techniques and will strengthen your lungs and endurance level.
Have you ever had asthma? Because this may be the reason for this coughing and such.
Let me know of you want anymore info :)

01 May
I will have to try that! I'm very frustrated with it. I actually did have asthma when I was idk if that makes a dif.
01 May
It may be just the asthma resurfacing for a little while before you get fitter cardiovascular wise. Let me know how it goes? :)
01 May
I've actually wondered about that before if that would make a dif. I'll just have to work on it I guess. Thanks! Yea I will let u know.
55 Posts
Apr 30, 2013 11:55pm
via iOS
So there are two types o energy systems... Static and dynamic (to put it simply).

Static is the short burst energy system which is primarily use for weight training - I.e. the energy needed is short only for 8-12 reps. Then when you rest, your energy system is "replaced" per say. 

Dynamic requires a more "long" energy system - this is also called aerobic because it needs oxygen and its continuous. This system is what kicks in for marathon runners or anyone involved in endurance.

That being said, if you're looking to improve your endurance, you will need to incorporate more endurance training in your workouts - I.e. long distance running, etc. Keep in mind, your body composition as well as previous ailments can affect your endurance. Also the good you eat and sleep cycles bear importance as well.

For example, my body type is an ectomorph and I tend to have a lot of fast twitch muscles - so I am ideal for sprints but marathons are out of question. However, if I ever wanted to change that, I would run 3-4 times a day. Eventually, my body will start to adapt and build resistance and increase endurance.

Hope that helps!

PS: Always remember, the human body works in CONJUNCTION with many other systems, muscles, and other internal organs - you can't just simply work one muscle without affecting other - your goal should be to balance out every energy system and muscle. Besides, "lungs" aren't muscles - muscles have a specific composition.
01 May
Thanks very much for that info!!
23 Posts
May 1, 2013 2:33am
via Android

Weather could be a factor as well. I was that way too when I first started out with endurance runs but as time goes by you'll adapt and overcome as long as there isn't a medical reason for it.  Just don't "cough up a lung" as the saying goes lol.

01 May
I think I about did the other day lol
01 May
Lol. Glad to hear you didn't though. That would have definitely slowed progress.
24 Jun
I would suggest swimming.It is a wonderful exercise for your lungs and ul feel the diff within a week.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51