Help for gps tracking

8 posts | Original | Recent

Testina_lowres_thumb
5 Posts
Jul 30, 2012 2:05pm

Sorry for using this section, but I don't see any "Help" section regarding GPS sports tracker.

I use GPS Sports Tracker on my Android 2.3 phone.

The GPS feature of the phone works perfectly either in Google Navigator, Google Maps, Google StreetView, as much as in CardioTrainer or Endomondo sport trancking softwares.

Unfortunately, in Skimble this tracking has a lot of problems, as the software very very often (quite half of my trainings) freezes during runnnig.

It is really annoying to start tracking, then putting the phone in the pocket and running half an hour, and finally discovering that Skimble is frozen at 20meters and 10seconds tracking...

My phone is a Onda TQ150 (Italian provider TIM brand), but the gps of the phone works properly with any other software, this is a problem regarding Skimble.

As per my opinion, Skimble freezes if something happens that brings any 'window' in foreground, such as a phone call, an sms, or a reminder notification popping up. After this event, Skimble doesn't restore previous status, but remains frozen (and, at the end, I've to kill it using the task-manager).

It is really a pity, because other sport softwares (such Cardiotrainer, Endomondo or Runtastic) are very running- or cycling-oriented, while my main sport is swimming, that suits perfectly with Skimble app.

Any idea about how to solve?

Alberto

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jul 31, 2012 2:08pm
Well at first, skimble FAQ says to turn off Wi-Fi to improve GPS tracking but after a few trial runs kayaking on the lake and after reading about how the smart phones use PGS Wi-Fi and a few other factors to determine your location I think that using both GPS with Wi-Fi on seems to keep slightly more accurate tracks! As for it freezing on you that is a new one for me, I transferred to Skimble after Trailguru disappeared and it was one that you had to keep running in the for ground or else it would stop, freeze, or loose tracks when ever something else came up but as for Skinble I have had no such problem thus far (knock on wood)! Start it keep it running, have checked the maps app, received and made text and calls no problem, bring the app back to front wait 2/3 sec to update then everything seems to be great! Just have to remember to turn it off some times! Lol nothing worse that kayaking over 10 miles + and then when you get home after that 30 min drive realize it's still running! Frusterating :) not sure this helps but keep loving the outdoors and mother nature and everything else will fall into place!
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 31, 2012 1:08pm
Mine doesn't freeze but the mileage is never accurate. Yesterday I hiked 7.2 miles and it read 11+. The map appears correct. Any ideas?
Testina_lowres_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 31, 2012 1:18pm

Hi Jennifer.

If the map view of your track is correct, I consider you are facing a wrong measure unit visualization.

Your mileage of 7miles is probably shown to you as 11km...

I noticed this behavior on my phone, too.

As I usually use metric units, sometimes I see an activity of 5miles instead of 8km.

The same activity, reached through a different menu, would be visualized properly...

Bye

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 31, 2012 3:05pm
I did check the units and it says miles. :(
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jan 6, 2013 5:41pm
Hi Alberto, Have recently downloaded skimble and found GPS not starting due to week signal. Other GPS devices work well in the area. Not sure why. Thought would give you extra feedback. Hope it gets sorted. Mike S :)
Clip_thumb
7 Posts
Feb 3, 2013 2:49pm

How do I get rid of a trip? I can't find the answer and maybe someone knows what to do. I also can't find out to post. Any help appreciated!!!

Image_thumb
24 Posts
Apr 17, 2013 4:29am

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,342 topics, 38,276 posts

Motivation & Support

8,528 topics, 41,550 posts

App Updates

43 topics, 104 posts