Asking the guys...

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
566 Posts
Oct 1, 2013 2:45pm
via iOS
So, I've got a part time job at a local community college.  I am so happy i get paid! I'm gonna be a note taker for students who are physically challenged. So, It's like I'm a student but I won't be taking any exams or doing any homework. It's purely just note taking.

One of my classes is a automotive class. I really get shy around new people and the fact the automotive may have more guys makes me nervous because I get really shy around guys.

Any tips?

:D
01 Oct
Dont be shy, dont take anything they say personal, dont take any lip from any of them. Be yourself, most importantly...just remember we are guys....for the most part we are all still 13 mentally....lol
01 Oct
Lol. Nice. I will keep that in mind Matt.
01 Oct
Think like a guy Just be yourself You'll be fine
01 Oct
Lol I can try :)
11 Oct
Cars everyone in a shop should knw are the GTR, first 900 hp evo 3dx, toyota supra , rx7, lambo, ferrari, n the lamo veneno only 4 made....this is my opinion tho
Image_thumb
122 Posts
Oct 1, 2013 2:54pm
via Android

Learn the material better than them. Become the expert. 

01 Oct
True. It would be just great to walk into a auto mechanic shop tell them what's wrong with my car then say that thingy is not sounding right lol
Image_thumb
347 Posts
Oct 1, 2013 5:01pm
via iOS
Just remain yourself....in our engineering class,there is only 1 girl..she is so shy but still she always remains herself..just be you n always laugh at a good joke..guys are not complicated,n I agree,know ur stuff,they we'll respect you
01 Oct
Thanks Matt.
Image_thumb
103 Posts
Oct 1, 2013 5:07pm

I teach automotive classes and only have two feamales this year..buttruth be told they seem to do better around a bunch of guys than the guys do around them. I would just be myself and don't take any crap from them. :)

01 Oct
I knew having an older brother always helps hehehe
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Oct 1, 2013 7:31pm
via Android

Best advice i can give is too put yourself in the position you feel good in.

First step would be to know what you want to tell them. This comes togheter with the 2nd part. Know what you are talking about. If you do this in a good way this gives you a plan to fall back on. If possible you can make a powerpoint with headlines. So you can look at what you want to say. This also makes it easier for others to follow you.

Set the rules early. If you dont feel comftable with situations make sure the rules are the first thing you make clear. Its impossible to set these later. It will be too late then.

Put on clothes that you feel secure in. Specially for a first time this can really help.

Take your time! Dont rush it. When you make a mistake or lose track. Dont panic keep your calm and you will see your audience will stay with you.

01 Oct
Thanks Rappa.
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Oct 1, 2013 11:55pm
via Android

Not sure if it helps to remember that as a woman you have like infinite power over men and this sometimes frightens them.

Just be nice and chill out and know that inside you is the power of a thousand suns

01 Oct
Thanks Patrick. It does help.
02 Oct
Infinite power? Haha
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Oct 4, 2013 1:55am
via Android

Well Ms.Aarti... Do not try to fit in by changing your persona... Be the same unassuming person you are and am pretty sure not just the guys but everyone will treat you with the respect you so truly deserve

04 Oct
Well said :)
Image_thumb
566 Posts
Oct 4, 2013 1:58am
via iOS
I really appreciate your input guys. It does make a difference :)
04 Oct
Btw... which organizaron do yoy work for??
04 Oct
Pardon my spelling fiasco
04 Oct
It's a community college.
04 Oct
It's ok
04 Oct
Oh cool... you're from?
Icon_missing_thumb
111 Posts
Oct 4, 2013 2:25am
via Android

My two cents,...
When speaking to a male, do not lose eye contact while communicating. Even if they do.
Depending on the culture, do not limply shake hands. This is an unconscious indicator of character.
Do not lower your chin. Yes, I know, dogs judge intent that way too. That 'guys are dogs' thing stopped being funny three presidents ago.
Look up 'mercurial'. Don't be that way.
Lower the tember of your voice. Alto... go Soprano. Soprano... maybe Tenor. Baritone is right out. Your a woman not a Bass!
Last, I agree with the most often said thing so far...
Most guys respond negatively to BS. If you don't know, stop talking. If you're wrong, admit it.
Remember, you're a woman. If you're half as well cultured as my wife, you can think and talk faster than the guys. The reason, probably,  for the shyness is you are outside your comfort zone. Enjoy it.
What's the worst thing, you learn something?
Good luck. Don't be afraid.

04 Oct
Makes sense to me. Thank you :)
Image_thumb
566 Posts
Oct 10, 2013 10:33pm
via iOS
Hey guys, survived my first week. I'm the only girl in the automotive class. The guys look harmless :p

So, I'm good.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51