Paralympics

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
185 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 11:03am
via iOS
Alrighty Skimble I've got a question.
Why is it that the Paralympics are on tv at the moment and yet all I've heard about it is maybe a brief mention by the channel that they're the next program on air?
Why don't our Paralympians, who have to go through so much more than our Olympians, get the same recognition, admiration and heroism attributed to them?
Why don't they get the news interviews and their photos splashed all over social media?

Is it because they're "different"?

Well let me tell you something world.

To all the people who think the Paralympics is for the weak, not as good, "special" people, and something to be embarrassed of...
You couldn't be more wrong. It takes more guts, more determination, more passion and more will power for our Paralympians to get to the stage that they're at.

... I don't see a legitimate difference in that they're all athletes competing at the est of their ability..

I've often wondered why they don't get the same treatment as our Olympians....

I guess it's just because they choose to participate in the Olympic game, not the fame game like the rest of our "role models".

Image_thumb
61 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 1:29pm
via Android

The one to blame is the media. Since every thing has become like a product that can be sold to the people. And since they sell the things & people (as in role models such as athletes) that make you want (sometimes NEED) to buy them to be perfect, or to be like them.
They definitely won't advertise a thing that makes you feel more superior or more better (in their point of view of course).
Also, the target of the media is the MAJORITY of the people (in terms of health, culture, religion. ..etc)within their broadcasting area, so they won't even think of the minority (the different & may be a lot more better people).

13 Mar
Thus the problem with society today. Everyone allows the media to guide and manipulate their thinking, so they lose sight of the important issues in our world. You are 100% correct
13 Mar
Thx T.R. I live in Egypt which is another country & another culture but it seems that media is the same everywhere. .lol
13 Mar
It really disturbs me to see how easily people shrug off their social responsibility blaming others. How easily you have blamed media for this when you haven't considered the fact that media shows things which in fact the people want to see. Only if the people had been more considerate towards this and appreciated it the media wouldn't have any issues covering it. After all the people who work in media also have to earn their bread and butter.
13 Mar
So, in essence you're saying people in general are self-absorbed, judgemental, arrogant d-bags and the media is feeding their desire to be so. Gotcha
13 Mar
With that said, the media has the power to force agendas on people, wether people initially agree with a certain agenda or not. You can't sit here and tell me that the media has ABSOLUTELY NO INFLUENCE on the general public. Where do you think stereotypical ideas about all African-American men being thugs, rappers and dead-beat dads come from? The media - Why do you think the most annoying songs on earth become pop hits? The media shoving it down our throats through continuous rotation on the airwaves until it 'grows' on us. People are creatures of habit and are...
Icon_missing_thumb
216 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 1:33pm
via Android

Well, you said it, it's because they're "different" - that and people are pricks in general and look down on folks who are "different" and outcasts. Takes more determination than I have to do what those athletes do.

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 2:21pm
via Android

The world is not perfect, it is never fair and just. Only the subtle efforts from our side makes the difference.
We can blame the media, the government for the poor state of Paralympics but ultimately we the people who are responsible for this and should start appreciating something that is different...

Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 3:39pm
via Android

For me its just not so interesting to watch. I cant really identify, the sport are different and sometimes a bit goofy. I respect the athletes but its not so strange they dont get the big audiences. Even alot of normal sports dont get any attention unless someone from ur specific country is winning in them.

17 Mar
That's understandable
Image_thumb
72 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 5:01pm
via Android

Leaning to the money angle

Image_thumb
61 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 8:09pm
via Android

The influence of the media or the corruption of the society... it's like asking which came 1st; the hen or the egg? And my answer would be definitely the roaster!
One has lead to the other.

13 Mar
Now that's a more acceptable approach instead of playing the blame game
14 Mar
Roaster?
14 Mar
I mean rooster "with double oo". Sorry my bad English...lol

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51