Too much sleep maybe?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 9, 2014 5:12am
via Android

Ok so this isn't really workout related but, I have issues with being a night owl of sorts. I am usually up till 3am and sleep most of the time till noon. I have a late kinda life where my son is the night owl as well. I just want to know what can I do to help get a better sleeping pattern and sleep less then 10 hours. I like my sleep and so does my son but my problem is just falling asleep at an earlier time. I've done the Tylenol pm and things like that but it doesn't seem to help me. I feel so useless during the day cuz I'm still tired. If anyone knows any remedy or just a helpful tip, I'd be very grateful. This all just seems to be my normal since I became a stay at home mother to our 1yo. I'm desperate for better sleeping habits for all of us.

09 Sep
Hi Shawna. Hope you are well. I have never commented on any forums, but with regard to your message I do have some insight. First things first; do yourself (and for your son for that matter) a favour and get a TSH detailed blood test. Your Thyroid Specific Hormone consists of two major hormones, T3 and T4. The T3 is the hormone produced that gives you energy and consists in height loss. I had the same problem as you for many years, but only after I gained weight and had problems swallowing, had we discovered that I had thyroid cancer...
09 Sep
Thanks Andrike, I will have to figure out something. Idk maybe it's post partum depression. I've been this way since I had my son. But I also have bipolar disorder. I've had it under control for years but maybe it's just hitting me since I had him. I've got some other health issues that are sinus related but that hasn't affected my sleep at all. I probly will make an appt soon though. Thank you again Andrike
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Sep 9, 2014 5:49am
via Android

You can try diaphragmatic breathing.

Image_thumb
1 Post
Sep 9, 2014 6:15am
via Android

I have the same problem and I try to get in a really good work out then take a long shower and it usually helps me sleep. Then I set my alarm for an early hour so I get tired earlier. Hope this was helpful

Image_thumb
385 Posts
Sep 9, 2014 7:19am
via Android

You know what you describe is same as me..I find myself at 2-3am reading something totally useless but cant leave it alone or looking on ebay for that thing Ive always wanted but not interested the next day.

I sometime think my body clock is a few hours out, but as the other person said...up early, tired earlier (sometimes) the weekend throws it out again a constant circle.

Image_thumb
40 Posts
Sep 9, 2014 1:09pm
via Android

Try Melatonin. Its a vitamin. Helps with sleep. When I take it I crash. I have the same issue. But its bc I dont get home from work till 11pm. So once I get a normal job ill end up with the issue of trying to get regular sleep patterns haha

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 9, 2014 4:08pm
via Android

I started the melatonin last night but the only downfall I have from it is it makes me want to sleep longer then normal. My son still gets up in the middle of the night too. I will continue the melatonin and see if it gets better. What are some good meditations to do? And where can I find good ones.

Icon_missing_thumb
24 Posts
Feb 1, 2015 8:41pm
via iOS
I heard recently that we are genetically predisposed to be night or morning oriented because back centuries ago we had to take turns at watching/protecting against predators and enemies.  So over generations, we tend to be one or the other which means that genetically you may be oriented to night.  however there are many things to try to use your environmental clues to adjust/correct this.  Eliminate caffeine and any stimulants after noon or entirely if that doesn't work(no chocolate, no herbal teas, coffe, etc.).  Next, turn off ALL blue light (TV, computers, phones) at least two hours prior to planned sleep time and all light sources if this is not enough.  tighten and then relax your body from toe to head as you lie motionless.  use white noise or relaxing music (no spoken words) as soft background to meditate to a chosen two syllable nonsense word.  SLOWLY move your eyes behind closed lids side to side like a slow motion windshield wiper.  If you find you cannot turn off your thoughts, jot them down at your bedside to see when you wake and return to the meditation procedure ( everything listed after turning off the lights).  I avoid drug use of any kind because there are generally side effects later and a tendency to become dependent on them.  It wasn't clear how old your child is, but at the youngest ages, it is normal to be tuned in to each other's sleep patterns and as they get older, you can use the same procedures listed above for your child.
03 Feb
You may hate me but try changing your occupational? I'm a tree surgeon so all day I'm having to push myself to the limit. When I get home I just crash out. I get about 11 hours uninterrupted sleep and I feel fantastic. Every day when everyone is exhausted and aching I'm raring to go and feel incredible. I don't eat that healthy but I eat about 3 bananas a day otr keep me going. Best of luck to you

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51