Getting fit for duty

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jun 16, 2013 2:13pm
via Android

I'm considering joining the Army and need to lose about 26lbs before they will even consider taking me in. The last time I checked my weight I was 176 and over 32% BF. My goal is to be down to 140 with 10% BF. Are there any exercises I do to help me achieve that goal?

16 Jun
Cardio. In the military you will do a lot of running anyway. So it's good to do now and build your endurance as well as burn fat. Clean up your diet if you haven't already. On your rest days you should still go out for a casual walk 1-3 miles at a normal pace. Don't over do it. Drink plenty of water to wash toxins out of your body.
16 Jun
Thanks Ryan, I should start doing that now. I'm gonna give it another 2 weeks before seeing a recruiter again.
16 Jun
Exactly as Ryan said, cardio. Jump rope, burpees, go for runs, mountain climbers, planks. They're all good.
Image_thumb
28 Posts
Jun 16, 2013 2:54pm
via iOS
You need to go hard on high interval training to get you fully conditioned for anything in addition to that you need to work on push-ups and as you progress start using weight when doing your interval training to prepare you for your backpacks and whatever else your going to have to carry. Good luck
16 Jun
Good point as well. Once or twice a week throw on a back pack with about 30-40 lbs and walk about 3 miles. You will be doing ruck marches!
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jun 16, 2013 3:11pm
via Android

Thanks

Image_thumb
147 Posts
Jun 16, 2013 3:42pm
via iOS
Another thing you should look up is army APFT standards. They score you on three events. The push up, sit up and 2 mile run. Look up your age and how many reps you need to make 60%. That is considered passing. I would wait to see your recruiter again until you meet those minimum standards at least. You will save yourself a lot of trouble as long as you can meet those standards consistently. Good luck.
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jun 16, 2013 5:12pm
via Android

If you are on 10% bodyfat you will probably end up in the hospital :-). As a woman aim to get below 20. Goodluck.

16 Jun
Yeah so true lol
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jun 16, 2013 5:52pm
via Android

Just wanna get lean lol

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51