HiiT and low calorie diets

3 posts | Original | Recent
17 Posts
Jun 21, 2013 4:22pm

Can someone please explain to me what it means when someone says that if you don't eat enough calories during the day you do HiiT that your body will begin to eat muscle? For some reason I can't picture the connection ... and I think that I might be approaching my weight loss/getting fit in a very unhealthy way :(

667 Posts
Jun 21, 2013 4:29pm
via iOS
Well if you trying to build muscle then you have to reach a caloric surplus.. And if you loosing weight then you have to reach a caloric deficit for the day... Doing high intensity on a caloric deficit with burn alot of fat and yes will make your muscle smaller because there's no calories to build or maintain....
21 Jun
What if you want to lose fat, as well as build muscle?
17 Posts
Jun 21, 2013 5:03pm

I'm trying to lose weight (15 pounds) but I also want to get strong. Am eating around 1000-1100 a day sometimes less but I feel full all the time b/c I'm eating so much ruffage and protein. Have been gluten-free for 3 weeks (health issues) and am considering cutting out all grains and dairy (because the increase in rice and corn and dairy is, frankly, really hurting my stomach).

So the skinny (ha) is that in a month I've lost 7 pounds. But now I'm afraid that I'm compromising my health and with 2 little kids under 6 years old, that's not being a smart mommy.

I started doing HiiT 6 times a week (3 weeks ago) for 45 mins in the mornings before breakfast. Its literally the only time I can work out between work and my kids schedules. I use about 7 vitamin supplements a day including probiotics.

22 Jun
You should be eating no less than 1200 calories a day, clean eating or not...and most people need more than that to properly fuel their body. I think you need to increase your cal intake.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51