The Perfect Protein?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Sep 6, 2013 3:52pm
via Android

I am getting ready to start my new way of eating and I wondering what is the perfect protein to eat? I have always heard chicken is good but I want to see what everyone else eats.

06 Sep
Eggs.... Sweet Potatoes... Almonds
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 7:10pm
via iOS
Smoked salmon and smoked trout are the best as far as I'm concerned. They are jam packed with protein so you can even have carbs with them (bagel, slice of bread, pasta salad, etc.) and still be mostly raising your protein intake.

There are some good sources of protein people never talk about. I have just discovered some cheeses that are excellent and not even fatty. Burrata, feta, parmesan... Did you know that quark cheese is essentially protein with not much else? You can totally make a protein cheesecake with it! But you can also make dips, spread it on bread, use it instead of mayo in salads...

Turkey meat is great, you can do so much with turkey meat. Cans of tuna are awesome, but do compare different canned tuna products. I have just discovered that the small Clover Leaf flaked light tuna products (my favorite is dill & lemon) have a much better protein to fat proportion than many other canned tuna products. Best of all, you can't drain them even if you wanted to, so those products are moist without being fattening.

Some breads, without being a good source of protein, have a much higher protein content than others. My favorite is flaxseed bread. Yes, it does add carbs, but I am allowed to use it where I would not be allowed to use regular country bread.

Peanut butter is great, too - just don't eat the whole pot, it does have a fair amount of fat.

A glass of milk is always good.

Mix one part shredded smoked salmon/trout with one part quark cheese, add some chopped purple onion and/or chives, and some dill if you like, and stick it all between two slices of heavy bread for an easy breakfast/lunch to go. Yum!
06 Sep
thank you!! I never even thought of smoked salmon aand trout. I am guessing its all fresh. and then ill have to look for the quark cheese :)
06 Sep
The quark cheese is somewhere near the sour cream in any good grocery store. It is also a great ingredient to make sandwich spreads with and an excellent cream cheese replacement (standard quark cheese in my neck of the woods is non-fat). Explore simple creamy or crumbly cheeses with a slightly sour taste, you might find that many of them are high in protein and low in fat.
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 7:39pm
via iOS
Oh, and I just wanted to add that I don't ever eat anything I don't like. If I have to bring myself to eat it, it is just not going to happen.

Thus, no putting eggs or egg whites in milkshakes. No egg white only omelets. No eating meat without having carbs along with it. I can't stand meat on its own, I have to have at least a piece of bread with it. Sweet potatoes are not even potatoes, I don't like them, I ain't having them. I will have real potatoes instead, even if that means I have to reduce the amount of potatoes as compared to before eating healthy.

Yes, I know, I am missing out on a better protein intake ratio, but I am not a body builder, and I am definitely not sacrificing the pleasure to eat for a squeaky clean healthy lifestyle. I don't drink much, have quit smoking and am now working out. All of this takes some effort on my part, and any more would be forcing it and making myself miserable. I want to live, not just work on being healthy. 

I know I need protein, I am doing the best I can to get it, but I reserve the right to have pleasure with food all the same.
Image_thumb
66 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 7:59pm
via Android

Beef, steak, chicken. Love em

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 4:34am

Lentils, nuts, yogurt n eggs. And yes, cheese but i try to moderate that as left to my own devices id live on cheese!

09 Sep
Egg whites, chicken breast, lean beef; in powders: Isopure, hands down the best.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51