Ankle weights

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
217 Posts
Oct 9, 2013 3:07pm
via iOS
I have just bought a pair of 0.25kg ankle weights today Has anyone used these before and if so, what are the results of using them? And is there anything I should be cautious of?
09 Oct
They enhaces slimminf of thigs and butt muscles. :)
13 Nov
I had to use ankle weights as part of my physio and they've really strengthened the muscles in my legs.
13 Nov
Thankyou!:-)
Image_thumb
132 Posts
Oct 9, 2013 3:24pm
via Android

I use a pair of 10 lbs ankle weights. They are great for adding resistance to your workouts. I would not suggest running or a lot of jumping in them because I have heard they add more stress to your bones. But overall  for like pull ups, squats they are good to up the intensity.

09 Oct
How do ankle weights make your squats more intense? Hehe
09 Oct
Put them on your wrist and extend your arms in front of you. I know they are called ankle weights, but it isn't like cops are patrolling for people using ankle weights on other body parts. :p
09 Oct
Ah that way. Didnt they invent barbels for that? :D
Image_thumb
226 Posts
Oct 9, 2013 4:36pm
via iOS
I do a lot of leg lifts, squats, and overall leg and glute exercises with them. They are great, especially when doing the normal exercise becomes too easy. You can even use them with planks and push-ups to add extra weight by strapping them to your shoulders. I would not do any running, walking, or jumping with them on.
Image_thumb
217 Posts
Oct 9, 2013 4:59pm
via iOS
Would wearing them around the house help at all?
09 Oct
I would not. Your muscles would become too accustomed to having the extra weight, your ankles would be strained, and your knees would be over-used. I recommend only using them for exercises, not walking.
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Oct 9, 2013 6:59pm
via Android

The biggest problem i have with ankle weights is that they make it alot harder for you to keep your ankles in the correct position. The ankles will collapse alot faster usually. And wearing them before you have developed a good moving  pattern makes it alot more likely to create a moving patterns with the ankles and/or feet collapsing and bringing the knees in a wrong position.

So basicly ankleweights can be used as a tool. But use them wisely. Specially with movements like squats or lunges they dont add weight to the lift but make you more likely to move incorrectly.

09 Oct
I have tried ankle weights in exercises like lunges,leg lifts, calf eaises and punches. Found it effective for target toning Jumping with them on really causes my back pain as it leads to bad form.
10 Oct
Effective for target toning, explain? If you never use any weights in your training it can give some slight muscle growth. But never much. All i can think of as being it effective is with abb exercises or using them the whole day to burn more kcal.
Image_thumb
16 Posts
Oct 10, 2013 4:18am
via Android

I use them for synchro sometimes. They make the work alot harder but it is so worth it when you take them off and you feel light as a feather

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51