Not losing weight? Are you eating enough?

22 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 7, 2014 7:37pm
via Android

I know it is a hard concept to buy into, but it is basic science. I've seen, read and heard countless people complain about failed diets and attempts to lose weight without success and when you get to the heart of things it is not due to a lack of effort its a lack of execution.
Your body has a resting metabolic rate(the amount of calories your body will burn in a day just to sustain itself, excluding activity). If your daily calorie consumption is well below this level your body will slow it'd own metabolism down in order to sustain itself, making it difficult to lose weight.
There are several ways to calculate you resting metabolic rate(RMR)
For males: 66 + (6.22 x body weight in lbs) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age) = RMR
For females: 655 + (4.36 x weight in pounds) + (4.32 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age) = RMR

To factor in your activity level take you RMR x
1.2 for sedentary
1.375 for light activity
1.55 for moderate
1.725 for very active
1.9 for extremely active

If you do this you will get your daily calorie burn(or at least a close estimate). If you want to effectively lose weight take your calculated value and subtract 500 that will give you a safe daily calorie intake that won't slow down your metabolism and is scientifically shown to decrease body fat.

Sorry about all the math. Hope this helps. If you have trouble with the calculations send me a PM with your sex, weight(in pounds), height(in inches) and age and I can calculate it for you and PM you back

11 Jan
Female 5ft 108 pounds 22 yrs. Thanks:) and im moderately active :)
12 Jan
Ash, your RMR is 1282, if you consider yourself to be moderately active your total daily calorie intake should be around 1987. If you are looking to lose weight subtract 500 from the total or add 500 if you are looking to gain weight.
14 Jan
35, 5'3, 210, moderate (I'm on the go all the time but no real working out or activity outside of bowling so I am guessing that is low/moderate?). I found your post interesting, it has me thinking. I have started to increase my activity level but still feel I I'm not eating enough. I dont feel hungry but I only eat about 2 meals a day & water. I guess the 1200 calorie goal is all wrong no wonder why im gaining more. Thank you for your help.
26 Mar
females. 48year old .5-2Ft--98kg .belinda thank you
Image_thumb
14 Posts
Jan 7, 2014 11:08pm
via iOS
Really? I thought lowering your metabolism was good because you won't need to eat as much to feel satisfied?
07 Jan
Partly true. If your metabolism is low you may have less of a desire to eat, but your body will also burn less calories during the day. Which is why doing the RMR calculations are important if you are looking to lose weight. This way the body gets the calories it needs to sustain itself while also keeping your metabolism up to continuously burn calories at a high level during the day.
25 Mar
You want to turn your body into a race car and burn k cals not turn your body into a geo metro struggling to get up the hill.... yea you might get better gas mileage in a geo metro but compared to that race car what do u really have? A broken down heap of junk that can go a long time on a tank of gas prayin tht it will get up the hill so u can get home... slow metabolism is like a geo metro and a fast metabolism is like tht race car
26 Mar
I initially have fasted for a couple days to jump start better portion control. When I restarted eating I was careful with portions the whole time. The fasting helped to rid my body of toxins too. I lost quite a lot of weight doing this along with exercising and being more active. It came off faster after the first week.
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 8, 2014 12:11am
via Android

girl
128 pounds last I checked
5 foot 3 inches
thankxxx

08 Jan
N.M., your RMR is 1410 calories, now just factor in what your activity level is and you will have your daily calorie expenditure. Based on that value track your daily calorie intake and try to keep it around 500 calories less than your total value if you are looking to lose weight.
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 8, 2014 12:22am
via Android

thanks

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jan 8, 2014 12:33am
via Android

Girl
185lbs
5, 6

08 Jan
I've been eating about 1270 Calories a day. Don't know if that's good or bad.
08 Jan
Crystal your RMR is 1625. Now factor in your activity level for your total calorie expenditure. After that it looks like you will be close to being on track, if anything you may need to increase your calories by 100 or so. If you do need to increase remember to do so by eating small healthy meals or snacks several times throughout the and that should do the trick.
08 Jan
Thank you Brian
Icon_missing_thumb
10 Posts
Jan 9, 2014 4:58am
via Android

I've been doing a diet of 2500 which now that I have done this calculation show I was pretty close at 2459.

09 Jan
Sounds like you have been hitting the nail on the head
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jan 9, 2014 6:48am
via Android

As a side note. I would go for a 20 to maybe 25% beneath your rmr. Cuz 500 calories for a petit women isnt the same as for a regular dude. If your daily calorie need is 1600, going on a 1100 diet wont be the best idea to start with. 1280-1300 would be better. At a point later you can always see what going a lil lower would do for you.

09 Jan
You do make a valid point and agree that this may not be ideal for all people and body types. I used 500 calories as the example because 3500 calories is equal to one pound, take that over 1 week and you have 1 pound a week. Besides if your daily calorie intake is only 1600, based on all the factors to the calculation(sex, age, weight, height and activity level) I'm not sure you would be looking much at a weight loss goal anyways you may actually be looking in the opposite direction if trying to gain weight, which the...
09 Jan
You are correct. Was just hypothetical numbers. Not for everyone 1 pound a week should be the goal haha. Less weight is 'slower' process.
Icon_missing_thumb
10 Posts
Jan 9, 2014 3:36pm
via Android

Yeap. I got to that number through trial and error but it's good to have some math backing it up.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jan 11, 2014 12:28am
via Android

Male
Age 15
155 pounds

11 Jan
Angelo, your RMR is 1766. Now factor in your activity rate to get your daily calorie intake. Looking at your age, height and weight I'm not sure if you are looking to lose weight, gain weight or maintain your current status. If the goal is to lose subtract 500 from your total calorie intake. Gain weight add 500, with an increased focus on added protein.
26 Mar
Female. 1.65 mtr I dont know what that is in inches... and 80 kgs
26 Mar
Sheridan, I need your age as well. I can do the other conversiond
26 Mar
Oh sorry..29
26 Mar
Sheridan, your RMR would be 1567 calories. Now just factor in your activity level to get your total daily calorie intake.
Image_thumb
25 Posts
Jan 11, 2014 8:57pm
via iOS
Female 22 yrs old 5'7 and 140
11 Jan
Danielle your RMR would be 1446, now you can factor in your activity level to get your total daily calorie intake.
Image_thumb
100 Posts
Mar 25, 2014 8:46am
via Android

Woman
160Cm
61Kg
37 years old....

25 Mar
Nada your RMR would be 1334 calories. Now factor in your activity level to get your daily calorie intake.
26 Mar
Thank you
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Mar 25, 2014 1:59pm
via Android

163 lbs
25 yr old
F
5'4"

25 Mar
Toya your looking at a RMR of 1525. Add in your activity level to get your calorie intake.
Image_thumb
51 Posts
Mar 25, 2014 6:37pm
via Android

I got approximately 1400 thus I guess something went wrong. Maybe the coverting part.
So I am female,15 yrs old, 158cm and 57kg.
Good luck with that and thank you.

25 Mar
Sissouliny. I got the same value as you did so your conversions were correct. But remember that value is your RMR, or the amount of calories your body burns if it is only at rest....no movement at all. So if you factor in even a moderate activity level your total calorie burn would jump to needing to consume 2168 calories, so remember to factor in your assumed activity level for a more accurate total calorie consumption.
Image_thumb
481 Posts
Mar 25, 2014 7:08pm
via Android

So true brian... :)

25 Mar
Hope your doing well Hannah
Image_thumb
63 Posts
Mar 25, 2014 7:31pm
via Android

But I do lose weight..I didnt eat anything for 2 days well actually 1 n a half but anyways I lost a kilo ..mayb my body works differently ( that's not an intelligent guess I know) 

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Mar 25, 2014 10:09pm
via iOS
Im a female, 104lbs, 63inches, 13 years old, and im somewhere inbetween moderete and very active
25 Mar
Lizzie, your RMR would be 1319. If you are moderate to very active your daily calorie intake would be 2045 or 2276.
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 25, 2014 10:46pm
via Android

I hope im eating enough

25 Mar
If you have trouble with the calculations let me know, but as long as you have all the values it just a matter of plugging them in.
1119764_1495575509_570251144_n_thumb
213 Posts
Mar 26, 2014 2:30am
via Android

The rmr rate is easy, 1459 for me. I have trouble figuring out which actvity level I fall under. Sedentary job, 2 midweek runs about 45 min to an hour apiece and a weekend long run somewhere between an hour to three hours.  (Slow runner) most are between 90 minutes and 2 hours. Some, but not much, stretching and strength training the rest of the week.

26 Mar
Male 257lbs, 6'2" 33 y/o
26 Mar
Ruben your looking at a RMR of 2349 calories.
26 Mar
Diane, I'd look at doing a range between two activity levels to get your calorie intake. Maybe the light to moderate ranges.
27 Mar
Thanks
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Mar 26, 2014 9:16am
via Android

female-48year old -5-2Ft --98kg
thankyou so very much.belinda

26 Mar
Belinda your RMR is 1615 calories.
Image_thumb
51 Posts
Mar 26, 2014 3:57pm
via Android

I don't understand though...
Does that mean I have to eat products that have in total 2168 calories in order to prevent my metabolism from slowing down?
The thing is, I have downloaded this app, Calorific, which has been very useful I must say, but according to my age, activity, height and weight, it says that I have to consume 1400calories/day so as to lose 0,5kg/week!!

26 Mar
No, you don't have to eat 2168 calories to keep your metabolism from slowing down, but you do have to eat. And that was the purpose of the topic post. When people try to loose weight and go on these crazy diets or stop eating and only consume 1000 calories in a day, that's when the metabolism slows down and after a prolonged duration of this type of eating it becomes unhealthy and the body in an effort to stay alive will"shut down" so to speak and not burn as much, so people will stop losing weight and often wonder...
26 Mar
2168 - 500 = 1668 calories to lose 1 pound / week(or roughly .5 kg) based on this form of calculations
Image_thumb
67 Posts
Mar 26, 2014 11:27pm
via Android

It is very nice of you to help figure out ones RMR. I did the math but just wanted ty check with you ti see if I an correct. 1723 calories needs to be consumed and I need to burn 2972. I am a 33 year old female,  I am 5'2 and I weigh 148 pounds. I work out 5 days a week,  which includes up to 1 hour and 15 minutes of cardio and some kind of ab workouts. I have lost weight but I've lost even more ounces. I don't want to get frustrated but I'm almost there. Fruits, vegetables, (8-10) 8 ounces of water, chicken, wheat bread, and oatmeal is what I consume. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

26 Mar
Tyson, your RMR would be 1413 calories. Your plan of attack seems spot on. It is a nice combination with your healthy eating and cardio. The only suggestion I would say is to mix in some total body resistance training. Nothing with real heavy weights, but some light weights with high reps. Look into some tabata or HIIT programs as well to mix in with the cardio. Good luck, hope this helps you achieve your goals.
27 Mar
Thanks a bunch.
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Mar 27, 2014 1:31am
via Android

Female, 20, 235, 68 inches

27 Mar
Penny, you would be looking at a RMR of 1879 calories.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51