Pull ups?

13 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
24 Posts
May 27, 2014 4:47am
via Android

I would like to start doing pull-ups to tone my arms, but I don't have a bar or anything like that, that I've noticed at least. Anyone have any ideas?

27 May
Awesome decision!!:-) borrow a family or friends one... like Alta said the park or buy one worth it no doubt:-) have fun on your journey:-)
28 May
Thanks for the support Henry! I think I'll probably buy one since I cant go to the park that often and I work out at night sometimes. Plus, it would be nice to have my own, too. I've always wanted to try doing pull-ups, I think because people never expect women to be able to do them, so I guess I see it as a challenge. Anyways, I will definitely try to enjoy my trials:)
28 May
No problem:-) if u can't do it.. use a chair to get your chin above the bar once above hold for10 sec without assistance. An let your self down slow an controlled... an repeat.. keep us updated :-)
Image_thumb
20 Posts
May 27, 2014 12:15pm
via Android

If there's a playground for kids nearby, they usually have bars, or maybe you could use the fence of your house etc... Just lok around I'm sure you'll find something... If not, check out on amazon, there's a bar you can hang on your door-frame

27 May
Yea. Those would both be good options. Thanks!
Image_thumb
57 Posts
May 27, 2014 12:35pm
via Android

Pull ups are for your lats more than your arms, if you want v taper then

Image_thumb
30 Posts
May 27, 2014 2:33pm
via Android

I've been doing only pull ups and push ups for upper body and am surprised how much improvement there's been in my arms. I got the type of bar that screws in to the door frame and have found it very secure. Just need to give it a quick twist whenever u use it.

I had to work at it for a couple of weeks before I could do a full pull up but it was well worth it. Brilliant exercise! Come back if u need any tips...

27 May
Thanks! I'll definitely keep those things in mind.
Image_thumb
24 Posts
May 28, 2014 1:36am
via Android

I'm confused

Image_thumb
16 Posts
May 28, 2014 1:46am
via Android

Hi Jenn I would do triceps push ups rather than pull ups for your arms.  Pull ups work your back.  Planking is also good for your arms and stomach

28 May
Oh, I gotcha. A strong back is still important, though. What makes tricep push-ups different from normal push-ups?
29 May
Tricep push ups put a load of emphasis on your triceps rather than shoulders and chest
29 May
Oh. That makes more sense haha Thanks!
Image_thumb
16 Posts
May 28, 2014 1:54am
via Android

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/16-ways-lose-weight-doing-chores/slide/8

I just did a quick search.  I meant tricep dips. Use a chair. 

Image_thumb
24 Posts
May 29, 2014 7:46pm
via Android

I will. Thank you for the advice. If you wouldn't have suggested that I might've kept trying to do them,  and if I couldn't get high enough I probably wouldve done it wrong over and over, getting frustrated, and given up after awhile thinking I couldn't do it, knowing me and my stubbornness haha

Image_thumb
9 Posts
May 29, 2014 7:56pm
via Android

Toning is mostly just lowering your body fat percentage. Other than that yes, do your best to do pullups! They are fantastic in developing arm and back strength and endurance.

29 May
I could use some more endurance so that would be very helpful. So, that's good to know! Thanks!
Image_thumb
18 Posts
May 30, 2014 2:16am
via Android

I've posted this in another topic too...but I need as much help and suggestions as I can get bcoz I desperately wanna do perfect pullups...I knw it takes time but would more than happy if sum1 gets me on the right track to get those perfect pullups...

I may need sum help here...
I bought a pullup bar 1 and half months back...been trying to do a pullup since...I knw it takes time to learn to do a pullup but can't seem to pull myself up...I have to jump a bit to pull myself nd even after coming down can't pull up again...have to jump up again to do a pullup...
So I started holding myself at the highest point for a couple of seconds (like 5 seconds or so), go slow down on the negative nd again jump up to repeat holding on the top...can repeat for about 5-10 times till I really start feeling my lats, arms nd core...I also do 20 or so pulse ups, like extremely short pullups only bending my arms a bit, without jumping..this routine takes about 5 mins to complete...I try doing this entire routine 2-3 times a day, like morn afternoon night, but just can't seem to go any further...
Yes, I have seen lots of improvements in my arms nd back...but wanna do a proper pullups...suggestions are most welcome...

30 May
Four me .what happened is I lost weight/ gained strength...thru the p90x / insanity program losing extra weight will definitely help.. if u don't have to lose weight then strength training.. this app helped me is allot to progress in the pull up/ chin ups...a couple workouts u could try... pull up pyramid / chin up party
30 May
Ohh cool...ya I don't need to loose lots of weight, have already lost lots of it...I also do lots of cardio and strength exercises...but will surely try out the said exercises...
30 May
Thanx...
30 May
Whenever I get around to being able to do some good pull-ups?
30 May
*no question mark. Sorry if I confused anyone
Image_thumb
24 Posts
Jun 5, 2014 2:28pm
via Android

I finally found a bar for my pull-ups. I'm about to try some. I guess I'll see how it goes

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Jun 12, 2014 9:57am
via Android

Finally got to do proper pullups since last week...I'm so loving it...\m/
Starting with 3 sets of 5 repetitions each (1 set pullup, nxt chin up then pullup again)... Hope to increase number of receptions...

12 Jun
Good job! Bet it felt amazing when u did that first one
13 Jun
Ya it felt awesome...I had my exms for a week...I didn't do any pullups at that time...before my exms I would gradually go up with much effort...nd ltr, I just shot up...I was like "wohhoo I can do pullups now"...
17 Jul
Congrats Pranav! That's great you finally were able to do some pull ups! Now just keep doing them so you don't lose strength in your arms or back. I'm still trying to gain enough strength to do one, so I'm not quite there yet.
17 Jul
Hey thanx Jennifer...yaa I will keep doing pullups...they r awesome fun...I'm sure u'll be ble to do it soon enough...just be patient...:-)
Image_thumb
159 Posts
Jun 17, 2014 5:13pm
via Android

Its easy to buy a pull up bar from a sports shop ..u get those detatchable ones now that dont have to be fixed permanently.. just get stuck between a door frame.

Btw its great to see you are inspired to do a pull up:) .. Its been my fitness dream too but im too weak still :(

18 Jun
Keep tryin...u'll get to do pullups 1 day...nd u'll feel amazing doing them after that...good luck :-)
17 Jul
Like Pranav said, keep practicing and you'll get there. Pull ups are hard so it takes a lot of work to be able to do even one. I can't do one yet either, so you're not the only one.
17 Jul
Just keep training. It takes practice to do anything well, and pull-ups are no exception. And yea, I found mine at Dunham's Sports but any sporting goods store would have them, even a store like mejier that sells almost anything.
17 Jul
Yaa pullups r hard to do at first, then they'll gradually become easier...but don't just overdo them...I made a mistake nd did pullups all day long whenever I passed under the pullup bar nd that started causing me pains in my elbow...I searched it on google nd a few people said overdoing pullups can cause tendonitis...so to be cautious don't do it all day long...just do ur pullups wen u workout...all the best...:-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51