My weight is low but my body fat percentage is very high!

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Jul 3, 2014 4:26am
via Android

Hi! I am new to this, apparently there is something called skinny fat, and I think i might fall into that categorie... does anyone have the same problem? Can someone give me some tips? Thanks! :p

04 Jul
That's me too. I am now just toning up. If you want any help message me :)
Image_thumb
18 Posts
Jul 4, 2014 1:43am
via Android

Turn that fat into muscle! I'm skinny too! I've been lazy for too long! Though our personal goals are different, I know how you feel. The best thing you can do for yourself is eat healthy and begin exercising regularly. You can do this girl! I actually weigh more now that I've put on some muscle, so don't panic if the number on the scale goes up. This just means you're converting that fat to muscle.

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Jul 4, 2014 1:48am
via Android

Get the calorie counter app from fat secret and start tracking what you eat. It may surprise you how little calories you're consuming. You're body would want to hang on to every single one, if you're not eating enough. You may need to increase your calories, to get your weight up to a healthy one. When I first started working out, I couldn't keep weight on. I only weighed 95 pounds, I'm 5'4. My doctor told me, that if I wanted to exercise regularly, I should be eating at least 2500 calories a day. It's been a struggle, but I'm 110 on a good day and feel much better about my appearance.

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Jul 4, 2014 3:56am
via Android

Omg, i just downloaded it. You were right, im eating very little calories and most of them are carbs and fat, almost no protein... so the key is to watch my eating and to get rid of my lazyness. Thanks a lot for recomending the app!!!! It was very useful.

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Jul 4, 2014 4:08am
via Android

Absolutely! I experienced the same thing. Let me know if you need any advice. Think about getting a good protein shake, nuts are also easy to eat, and packed with protein. Peanut butter is a good one. Yogurt with low sugar content. Check out the forum post for cherry vanilla oats. The chia seeds in there are great for an extra boost! :) Good luck. The app should help a lot

04 Jul
Oki, i'll check them thanks! And i do have one question... i'm skinny everywhere but my stomach, but i don't know if i should be doing abs or wait intil i lose the fat first? What are ur exercise recommendations?
Image_thumb
18 Posts
Jul 4, 2014 6:13am
via Android

Personally, I would attack from both angles. I'd start with some cardio but I'd also begin core exercises. The goal is to strengthen the whole body evenly. There are some moderate or easy ones on here to get you started. If you can't compete the whole thing, just do as much as you can. These workouts are generally well rounded. Just search "core exercises."

Personally, I long board for cardio, but you could ride a bike, roller blade, jog, or even walk. Pick something you'll actually enjoy. Check my workout list for my favorite ab workouts.

41665_807960444_1603_n_thumb
24 Posts
Jul 4, 2014 6:31am
via Android

How are you getting your body fat analyzed? And what percentage is high? There is such a thing as being thin and not fit... And fat and fit. I'm the latter and trying to fix it. Yet figuring out which you are fit, unfit, or some combination can be a challenge. I find people's willingness to share their opinions without asking questions occasionally frightening. Not so much in this circumstance, but in a couple of others.

04 Jul
A small device that a trainer pointed at me gave me around a 35-40% and he was very surprised because i looked thin, he thought the machine was broken, but then he tried it on himself snd he had only 17%
24 Posts
Jul 4, 2014 9:24pm
via Android

Yeah,  hydrostatic (aka underwater) weighing is the only accurate way of determining body composition. There is a bunch of devices out there, but they're just not consistently accurate. See "measurement techniques" in the Wikipedia article on body fat percentage. Most of these devices use equations to estimate your body fat percentage based on some measurement. If he didn't have to enter a crap ton of other info, age, weight, sex, etc, he may not have been using it correctly.

Also, look at the typical body fat percentages in that article. Considering many of these devices can be off as much as 10 to 20% if not used just right... You're probably healthy.

Still something good has come of it. Recognizing that your diet could use some adjustment and that you'd like to exercise more  is always beneficial. I'll msg you some tips next time I'm online.

13 Jul
I totally agree with whst u are saying, it made me realize i was doing it wrong hehe. Thanks for your reply, it was very useful!
24 Posts
Jul 8, 2014 3:42am

Sorry, it's taken me forever to reply. Cristy K is totally right, attacking from multiple angles is totally the right way to go. However, pick up one angle at a time. It's really easy to say "I'm going to be fit", try to make a crap ton of changes, and burn yourself out. I suggest one change at a time. Start recording your diet for a couple weeks, then make one change to your diet; something like add water, eliminate soda, no carbs at lunch, OR veggies at every meal. In the mean time, add a cardio habit. It should be something you enjoy, but make it regular. Volleyball, hiking, or jogging on the treadmill while watching your favorite show. Lots of small habits lead to big changes.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51