How can i convince myself to cook?

6 posts | Original | Recent
55 Posts
Sep 25, 2014 4:06pm
via Android

I need to lose like 40 lbs. I exercise somewhat regularly, on and off. I definitely think my diet is a much larger part of my problem. I eat way too many snacks and fast food. I rarely eat anything that I can't just grab and throw in my mouth.

I absolutely hate cooking. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. I hate getting a hundred dishes dirty during preparation. I hate cleaning up afterwards. I hate waiting. I will not touch raw meat, I refuse.

Part of the problem is I live and eat alone. Getting two bowls, three measuring spoons, a saucepan, a baking sheet, a knife and a cutting board dirty so i can eat one plate of mediocre food, is just not worth it. It's not.

So yeah, obviously the obvious solution is to learn how to cook and cook lots of healthy meals. I won't commit to that. I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to do it.

Like, even making a sandwich is too much effort; washing and slicing the tomato and lettuce and putting away leftovers which probably won't keep anyway.

I feel hopeless because I know that weight loss requires eating healthy, which requires preparing your own food, which i can't seem to convince myself to do.

So i have two questions for everybody.

First, is there any other way? Can i lose weight healthily by eating mostly pre-prepared and packaged foods?

If not, has anybody else been here and gotten over it? How? Is there a baby step i can take?

27 Sep
Get rid of the microwave. And make enough for leftovers. Only buy healthy foods.
27 Sep
If it comes in a box, you are better off eating the box!
28 Sep
Get a guy.. Cuz a guy want a woman who can cook :3
28 Sep
Are you serious? Do you think that's funny? Do you think you're going to get a girlfriend by saying stupid sexist shit like that? all types of guys like all types of girls. Just because you want your girlfriend to treat you like a child and do all your cooking and cleaning for you, does NOT mean that it is my job as a woman to cook for a man. I'll have you know i am happily engaged to the girl of my dreams. Ass hole.
28 Sep
O.o I have a gf instead of her cooking... I do it .. I also clean by her parents place.. I was jk there... Sorry for anything.... But srsly I am really helpful >.<... I love her too much ^.^
9 Posts
Sep 25, 2014 4:56pm
via Android

Oh thank God! Finally a normal person with a relatable problem! All i ever seem to see on this app are fit, muscular sons of ******* who post silly questions and make goals that are entirely impossible for an average human being. I have the same problem. I workout like a freak and after I've successfully broken every bone in my body i get home to an empty fridge. I tried starving but it never works. Nor do diet pills or fat burners. I started making lunch for myself. Simple and easy to cook. Just gotta learn to kill a few taste buds and you're golden. Otherwise cook big meals twice a week and store them. You could boil a lotta veggies and proteins and just use them in different dishes. The nutritional value takes a dive but you'll build a system that suits you...gradually. Sorry about the rant.
Do lemme know how it goes. I'm trying to lose 42pounds myself.

57 Posts
Sep 26, 2014 12:02am
via Android

Hi Lauren,

I'm in the same boat. Single and hard to prepare meals for one. I use myfitnesspal to keep track of calories.  It's easy to use and you can see how many calories you have left for the day.

I also pick a day to cook all my meals for the week. I prepare all my cooked meals for 7 days then toss them in freezer in single portions.

I'm not a big eater when it comes to breakfast and I know that's bad. My solution was a NutriBullet. I have a smoothie after my morning workout. It's fast and the the cup is dishwasher safe lol.

Hope this helps :)

28 Sep
Cooking all my meals for the week sounds doable. I can cook once a week. Maybe I'll discover i actually do like it. Do you have any recommendations for recipes that work for that? I only have depressing cookbooks like "cooking for one" and "dining solo" lol yeah, my mom literally didn't teach me to cook, i know zero recipes and i don't know where to start.
14 Posts
Sep 28, 2014 5:31pm
via Android

First thing first is to tackle the idea of cooking...people can tell you many different things to do but it won't help unless you want to cook. I found it to be less expensive and better at monitoring what I eat, if I cooked myself. I was the college kid that ate fast food, snacked on anything but became a weight I didn't like plus decided to become a health ed so I needed to change. So change begins with you, only you can make the decision. I was lazy and didn't wanna cook but eating out got expensive and just for me. I cook solo meals, well I actually enough to meal prep for lunch the next day. So it's on you, gotta get past the raw meat thing tho I did, well to an extent.

28 Sep
Parchment paper is your BFF! Line all your casserole dishes with it for baking , baking sheets for baking and broiling even your slow cooker! I LOVE not scrubbing dishes, just throw it away off the pan, maybe a quick rinse of the dish and it's good to put away :D
28 Sep
Jessica that sounds like a really great idea! I wonder why now people don't do it. Or why i didn't think of it lol
1 Post
Sep 28, 2014 6:55pm
via Android

I know, it's life changing for dish haters like us lol

33 Posts
Sep 28, 2014 7:06pm
via Android

Be a woman

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51