Extremely discouraged

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
55 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 2:46pm
via Android

I had been consistently losing about 2 lbs per week. A week ago, despite the fact that I changed nothing about my routine, I put 2 lbs back on. I posted about it here and everyone told me not to worry, do this do that, whatever.
This week I gained another lb. And I an absolutely disgusted with myself.

What am I doing wrong? I'm only eating like 1000-1500 calories a day, I'm eating hardly any junk food, I'm working out 3-4 times a week. This was working for me, I lost 15 lbs this way.

Why isn't it working anymore?

I feel so angry. I'm trying really hard. I hate myself. So. Effing. Much. I NEED to lose weight. I NEED to not be putting it back on.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm about to stop eating altogether.

15 Oct
Don't hate yourself, geez!!!! You're putting on muscle!!!
15 Oct
Actually I'm not. My scale displays body fat and muscle percentages.
15 Oct
First off, I hear your frustration about weight fluctuations. They are annoying! Second, don't stop eating! Your body needs fuel and actually goes into starvation mode and saves fat if too little food comes in. Two reasons I can think of are that you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Focus on how your body feels, not just the number on the scale. Also, many people doing the same routine for awhile plateau out. You need to be constantly making your body guess and change. So keep your eating habits up, but add more intensity to your workouts,...
15 Oct
Your body could have just adapted to your workout or routine. Change things up a bit your doing great! Weight is just a number ;)
15 Oct
Does that really make a big difference though? I thought that if you have a calorie deficit, you lose fat. I have a huge calorie deficit. I could see how you might lose *more* fat if your body isn't sure what your muscles/metabolism are doing. But even if I didn't work out at all I would have a calorie deficit and should be losing weight. Am I wrong?
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 5:39pm
via Android

Throw your scales away they lie to you...

If you lost weight threw diet alone your body will also burn muscle as well as fat to fuel itself..with exercise you maintain and even build muscle...per square inch muscle weights more than fat.

So you nay have loat fat but gained muscle and increased weight...which is nothing to worry about as the muscle you have the more fat you burn.

Hence scales lie to you...if you need a reference use a fat measure...the old pinch an inch tool as you lose fat the measure will decrease even with extra muscle.

The main thing to get in your head is weight means very little!  Good luck and keep it up, its a point where lots of people give up for the same reasons.

Image_thumb
16 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 8:07pm

In a simple biological sense, then yes, less food in means less weight. However, your body does get used to the amount of work you do on a certain number of calories if you do the same thing over and over again. It knows it is coming and prepares for that. Also, if you are eating too few calories you body holds on to them as fat because it is in starvation mode, not helping your goals. Also, it is no fun to only eat carrots, is it? 

I have read in many places that mixing up your routine and diet is always a good idea by adding more intervals whie maintaining a lowered calorie intake (but not too low!).

Just what I have read and found that works. 

15 Oct
This is very true
16 Oct
That's why its important to eat breakfast, to prevent your body from going into starvation mode
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 1:01pm
via Android

Bring your heart rate up more do more fat burning exercises.... remember muscle ways more then fat it will seem your gaining weight

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 4:41pm

Yes you will gain a couple of pounds when you first go back to a more healthy caloric intake level. Once your body gets used to it though, you will begin to lose the weight again. The problem with a too restrictive caloric level is that your body goes into "survival from starvation mode" so it will take a bit of time to turn that mechanism "off". No one should EVER eat less than 1200 calories a day. 1000 calories or less is one of the DSM V criteria for Anorexia Nervosa.

1200 calories is for a woman who is mostly physically inactive. A healthy range should be between 1400 - 1800 for moderate to intense exercisers.  Increase your caloric intake to at least 1400 a day so that your body can readjust. Make sure at least half of that comes from vegetables. The remaining half should come from fruits, grains, proteins and healthy fats. While you are doing this, you will want to evaluate your exercise routine. How intense are your sessions? How often do you exercise? If you are working out more than 3 or 4 days a week at a level 7 or higher intensity rate, then you should probably increase your calories a little bit more. You will find your body's "sweet spot". Fluctuating your calorie intake a little bit isn't bad either  (example, never dipping below 1400 and very once in a while eating as much as 1800) - it keys your body into thinking you are in a time of plentiful food. But the food HAS to be clean!!!! This means packed full of micro and macro nutrients. I personally eat between 1600-2000 a day. It depends on whether I am focused on "cutting" or "building". Right now I'm in a build mode so my calories are much higher (sometimes over 2000 in a day). I weigh on average 130lbs at 5'4". After you've gotten back on track with a more healthy eating habit, I would then focus on switching to HIIT/Plyometric routines. HIIT/Plyos are really good ways to burn fat while building anaerobic fitness. Anaerobic exercises such as HIIT, weightlifting etc keeps your metabolism keyed up for a longer duration then simply aerobic cardio. Additionally the more muscle strength you have, the more fuel your body will need, thus keeping your metabolism up.  

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 6:27pm
via Android

Scales lie. Muscle is heavier than fat. A guy can be ripped and lean and weigh the same as one who is obese. Same with girls. Always talk in inches and physical results, that's how you know if you are getting leaner :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51