What's your take on protein shakes?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
55 Posts
Oct 18, 2014 6:04pm
via Android

I recently changed my eating habits to be more healthy. I used to eat mostly fast food, TV dinners canned soup, and salty snacks.

Now I am really trying to take care of myself. I avoid anything boxed or canned, I eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid wheat, snack on nuts and seeds instead of chips. I've lost 15 lbs so far.

Only now I'm not losing anymore. Based on feedback from other skimble members, I suspect my body has gone into starvation mode. The problem is that I'm having a hard time getting enough calories in, especially from protein.

I don't want to buy or cook meat. I'll eat it if someone is serving it, but I don't want to support the industry. So eating more meat isn't a practical option. I'm thinking about protein shakes as an alternative. They're relatively high in calories, and obvs protein, the two things I'm really lacking.

I want your feedback. Good idea? Bad idea? Why? If not protein shakes, can you recommend other foods that are high in calories but still healthy and not super expensive (I'm a student with extremely limited income)? If yes protein shakes, are there some that are better than others? What's your experience been like?

Thanks! <3

19 Oct
Yeah! They work
Icon_missing_thumb
83 Posts
Oct 18, 2014 8:55pm
via Android

I take a protein shake after every workout. I'm doing it for building muscle. For yourself I would look into more of a smoothie option. Having your protein mixed with fruits. It will still get you calories and protein.

18 Oct
Thanks!
Image_thumb
327 Posts
Oct 19, 2014 12:34am
via Android

Protien shakes are good if u doing alot of exercise,the body really does not need alot unless your a body builder,nuts,some sugar free peanut butter from holland and barratt are what fitcamp peps seem to be buying

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Oct 19, 2014 1:11am
via Android

I love protein shakes and need the extra protein because I usually don't get enough. My advice is track your protein & (calorie) intake to know how much you're getting. For women .9g for each pound you are/want to be is a good guide. As long as you use them muscles!

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Oct 19, 2014 1:59am
via Android

Mootopia

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Oct 19, 2014 1:33pm
via Android

I suggest you read up more on starvation mode cuz from what I've read I believe it's a fitness myth.

There are actual weight loss plateaus for actual reasons but starvation mode is this idea that kinda sounded like it made sense and then got passed around by a lot of people who really don't know anything about that kind of stuff.

Not that I'm saying that I know it isn't possible or that I really know either way ... I'm not a doctor or anything, but I've never heard it talked about by anyone who actually had any real knowledge of it besides hearing it from someone else.

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Oct 20, 2014 1:37am
via Android

Can't live without them.  After workout and in the morning. And mid day snack.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51