Body fat

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 6:07am
via iOS
I learned it is not about the weight but about the muscle/fat ratio in your body what makes you healthy. Now: how do I measure the fat effectively? I have a body fat scale but I don't trust it. Now it is on 23% fat, but I wouldn't consider myself as fat. What values would you consider healthy and how do you measure?
21 Nov
I wouldn't consider you as fat either, but I'm thinking that a body can still be the same size but with different fat/muscle ratios. Like you could be a slim person with no muscles at all, or a heavy weight lifter that looks like a fat person.
21 Nov
Which is btw one of the reasons why BMI is such a problematic measure.
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 6:40am
via Android

12 to 17 percent should be good enough I used the navy calculator online but the only trustworthy readings are off a lab test.

Image_thumb
953 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 7:03am
via Android

Many gyms nowadays will have the electro impedance test which is pretty good but even that is not fully accurate unless used under controlled circumstances. You can Google it and there are a few easy articles out there discussing the pros & cons of various methods.  It's good to use a couple & use them over time as a relative measure of progress rather than any final statement of your condition.

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 7:15am
via Android

You're not fat at all! The problem with the scale is that it is measuring the legs only. It's not able to measure the upper body. I did find a tip at Mark Maslow's blog marathonfitness.de to buy a Calipierzange and measure the body fat at the core and take a photo in boxers every week. Once from the front and one from the side. It's helping me to get a more realistic view about myself without the necessary tests Patrick mentioned already.

Image_thumb
26 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 3:02pm
via Android

Body fat is a complex issues alltogether, you can be skinny and have lot of or organ fatwhich means unhealthy, so don't worry about external appearance ,work out and  eat healthy .

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51