Weight Loss Program - Cardio Vs Weight Lifting?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 7, 2015 5:29pm

It’s that time of year where I'm looking at myself and saying yeah I need to lose weight. My questions is this.... I chatted with a friend and also read some articles that pretty much says one way to burn fat is build muscle mass via weight lifting and the fat will burn itself off because of increasing your BMR. Every pound of muscle you gain is approximately 500 extra calories you burn per day. 60-70% of Cal burned per day is you just being alive (BMR). 15-30% is you digesting your food (TEF). So 70-85% is you just living and not lifting a finger. So shouldn't we focus in on that area instead of the remaining small piece of the pie?

But on the flip side of that the article talks about if you choose cardio that you shouldn't so much focus on fat burning zone, or cardio zone. But instead focus on high-intensity, interval-type exercise. I’ve tired cardio and it never seems to work. I ran an entire summer and it was ok but I’m wondering if building muscle mass is better? It’s all very confusing?

Also to add another snag to this I travel all the time for work, so I’m never home. I never know where is a gym is going to be. I almost always have dumbbells and a basic gym at the hotel. But a work out that works for road warriors is great too.

So 2 questions?

- 1. Which is better? Cardio or Weight Training

- 2. Depending on which any recommendations on workouts for a traveling person.

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Jan 7, 2015 6:02pm
via iOS
I can answer number one.... Over the last few months I've combined both weight lifting and HIIT cardio together using workout programs by Jim Stoppani & Craig Capurso. Both have given awesome results! The first has you doing 60 seconds of HIIT in between weight lifting and the second has you doing HIIT cardio after your weight session... Depending on your body type, if you don't lose weight easily and pack it on (like me) 10-15mins of HIIT at the end of the weight lifting is only gonna help you get a lean, muscled body. 
I've done a lot of reading on this as well & most agree that it's the steady state cardio (such as treadmill jogging etc) that shouldn't be done too much or for too long as it impacts on the muscle. Hope this helps a little, sorry I can't help with number 2 
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 7, 2015 6:25pm

Scott K,

Thanks for the great insight. I'm a bigger guy, about 274 lbs and 6 foot. Carry most my weight in the tummy area. My fitness level has been low the last few months and I managed to gain some weight. I was closer to  255 - 260 range, but traveling and eatting out every day kicks me butt. I might be chubby but I'm very flexible and can touch the ground with my palm and can sit indian style. I just need to loss this gut ASAP and get in a better place. 

So you think there workout would be a good fit for someone like me? My biggest problem is lack of equipment to use while on the road. Its not like I have a full gym with all weights and bar bells and equipment.. 

07 Jan
Not a problem, I'm 6 '1 and was 224 at my heaviest. I'm down to 200 now. I had 28% bodyfat though and was incredibly unhealthy. I also worked away so have a lotta similarities with your topic so I thought I would weigh in with what's worked for me. Good luck !!
Image_thumb
33 Posts
Jan 7, 2015 7:18pm
via Android

Hi Anthony, if you are overweight assess yourself first.  HIIT is definitely a really good way to burn fat fast, but before you engage in such strenuous activity ask yourself, can my knees/ankles handle the stress?  Is my cardiovascular health in the state it needs to be to perform such form of training?  Then take it from there.  If you feel you can't perform that type of training try a brisk walk on an incline, engage in low intensity cardio training until you feel ready. Definitely incorporate strength and resistance training find a program suited for you.  Nothing wrong with starting back at step one,  the important thing is your getting back on the fit train.  My suggestion is assess yourself, find a good program suitable for you.  Look up Tabata training if you travel alot.  It consists of cardio/strength exercises you can basically do anywhere.  Good luck....

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 7, 2015 7:41pm

Nelson,

If I don't do HIIT right away do you think the weight lifting is still a good idea? Also any good recommendations on workout plans that are easy for the traveling person? 

07 Jan
You can scroll through some of my created workouts. There's a bunch of 5min ones I was asked to create for weight loss and toning. They aren't intense. As you progress and increase your endurance there are tougher ones.
07 Jan
Skimble is also creating some excellent workouts ATM which you should check out
Image_thumb
33 Posts
Jan 7, 2015 8:05pm
via Android

Strength and resistance training will always be beneficial. So yes. Get some low intensity cardio and like I suggested before take a look at Tabata training, it's a mix of cardio and strength exercises you can do practically anywhere.  Some good programs in here as well...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51