Vegan and working out?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
11 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 6:11pm
via Android

Hi,

My name is Devin I've been on and offine vegan and I was wondering if anyone on here does both? That's because I heard vegan can boost you more? I was wondering if I can get some reviews on a vegan lifestyle and working out with it?

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 6:19pm
via Android

I was a vegetarian for about 15 years.. about a year ago I started taking fitness serious, but without meat there were 3 challenges I faced. Budget , recovery , nutrition.  It got really expensive trying to eat enough protein to bulk up. I wasn't recovering from my workouts like I had wanted to. It was taking me about a while week for one muscle group to recover. And to top it all off I started making bad choices when I was on the go just due to lack of variety. So I gave up the lifestlye and started eating meat. I am saving a lot of money and recovering within 24 hours. I will go back to being a vegetarian one day, just can't do it right now. And I know you said vegan but I thought it was close enough to share my experience with you.

Image_thumb
11 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 6:25pm
via Android

Ya that's a good review of it and I see vegan is totally different but close enough to a vegetarian I see. And I'm going 70% vegan not cutting meat out totally because I do cleanse alot if I eat meat on account.

18 Feb
Hi Devin! Like you I am struggling with vegan diet because of protein and working out. I become vegan due to cholesterol running in my family. I'm not overweight,(5'11 145). I bought the "book engine 2diet ". It has good explanation of vegan diet and recipes. You can add flaxseed and chia seeds to your diet.
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Feb 21, 2015 12:33am
via Android

As a vegan for over 7 years I'd definitely say you have to do your research and be devoted.  You can consume a lot of legumes for protein but its not a complete protein. You need to supplement it with protein from wheat to get complete protein.  Quinoa is good source of complete protein and if you have the money there are protein supplements. I highly recommend Vega. 

Like what the initial poster said, since vegan food is sometime sparse you might be forced into making the incorrect food choices.  If you live in a big city, it's a breeze though.  If it's not, you might have to prepare your own food in advance. 

Since you still consume meat perhaps maybe just focusing on leaner meat or being a pescatarian instead of being a vegan. 

21 Feb
Thanks i appericate your input since it is accurate And I Understand vegan has protein and I have been doing my research and vegan is a post to be 100%. I understand the more and longer you stay is better and I've been 70% vegan and u have more energy and it's a incredible spiritual feelings as well. With less tiredness. But, I believe I will invest into supplements and vitamins that can help support me. That's why I believe it can boost me and sooner or later it will I'll be 100% vegan.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51