Calories? What the?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 3, 2015 1:59am
via Android

So... im eating about 1500 calories a day which is a pretty good range im in, im already tiny (50kg 152cm) and im working on just trimming down the extra jiggles and toning my muscles but when i complete a workout on here it sais im burning total 18 kcal. So question is, is that 18,000 calories or is kcal a unit of its own and how do i convert it to the true calorie amount?

03 Mar
18 kcals is the amount to set in relation directly to your 1500 calorie intake
03 Mar
So if im eating 1500 calories and burning 18 kcals then i should actively see progress?
03 Mar
The 1500 "calories" you eat are actually kcals. What we commonly refer to as calories are actually kilocalories (kcals).
04 Mar
I want suggest if you want to lose a little weight is lowering your carb intake and make sure your eating clean amd good healthy carbs like sweet patatoe or brown rice and make sure you drink alot of water.
04 Mar
Bethany b, i eat clean and healthy naturally anyway. I guess i just always have. I was never big on eating carbs but over the years ive made a solid effort to incorporate more into my diet. I only really eat barley bread which has no weat and crap in it and i make all my own pasta from traditional recipe which isnt the feral processed shit in the supermarket. And i eat brown rice on the occasion. At the end of the day i have a very well balanced diet and eat regularly. Not to say that im not...
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 3, 2015 5:34am
via Android

Working out does not burn a lot of calories compared to what we need to eat in a day, and that's why losing weight through working out only is close to impossible. The amount of calories you burn while working out depends on your age, size, what shape you're in etc. In an app like this the calorie burn is only an estimate. To know exactly how many calories you burn you need to monitor your pulse.

On 1500 calories a day you're probably on a small deficit already. Check out Scotty K's post Want to lose or gain weight to learn more about calories.

03 Mar
That's not really true: yes, you wouldn't lose weight with just one 18 kcals workout (which cannot be more than 2 mins I guess). But: building together a nice set of say 200 or 300 kcals (or even 400 like she says below) is a whole other story: not only that you are actually burning those 400 extra calories a day, you will have an afterburn effect through moving and you'll motivate your muscles to grow. This leads tl a far more active metabolism which burns more in rest than before (muscles need a hell of energy). Thus: by keeping...
03 Mar
Personal example: I didn't change ANYTHING in eating, I'm just trying (not always successful) to balance my intake to about 12% of the amount my body's burning in little to no activity. On tough workout days I reach a calorie deficit of about 300 to 400 kcals, about 200 on average. Result: I've lost 5kgs in 3 months serious training. Not much, but you need to keep in mind the muscle growth. And I'm satisfied. The softer you lose and the less restrictions you have to take, the longer is the success.
03 Mar
Actually not 12% OF but 12% ABOVE the amount regarding intake
04 Mar
Yeah you're right Matthias, but this only applies if you already stick to a somewhat healthy diet. Let's say for instance you eat 3000 calories a day and work off 500, you'll still be way over your TDEE and won't see any results. But the interesting thing in this is that eating too little can also stop you from losing weight. Let's say you eat 1200 calories a day and burn as much as in the example above, your net intake will be so low that your body will start clinging to the body fat you have because it thinks...
04 Mar
My TDEE is a bit higher than 2500 but totally agree with the rest! :-)
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 3, 2015 6:14am
via Android

Thanks for the suggestion/advice. I used to eat far less than 1500 cals a day and im working on getting to a good healthy medium. I eat healthy naturally because if u ask me, un healthy food just tastes like s**t lol. Ive worked it out that im actually burning 400 cals a day with the workout im doing which is only a "casual" workout since im only on week 2 lol and will probably be adding more intensity and time to this once i find my feet in the exercise world.

03 Mar
That's good! I also remembered that you need to fill in your weight etc in the fitness assessments in the app settings. That way it will make a more somewhat accurate estimate. But I've noticed that Endomondo and Skimble say completely different things.
03 Mar
And you might actually start shedding fat just by eating more! I used to eat way to little before, now I'm on 1500 calories as well and a LOT has happened in just a month. Some days when I work really hard I don't reach 1500 net calories (calorie intake minus calories burned) but that doesn't really matter.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 3, 2015 9:01pm
via Android

Yeah well im currently eating between 1200 and 1500 cals. Which im actually struggling to get to 1500. And i would burn about 350 in my 50 minute workout everyday. But if i actually account for all the cals i burn in my hour n half work shift id burn another 400. But i just dont understand if im eating 1500 cals should i be aiming to burn 12% of my intake or burning enough so i only have 12% of my intake left? When i work out how many cals im burning its Not that hard to clock up close to 1000 cals burned in a typical day for me, so at the moment would i need increase my intake or increase the amount burned ?

Image_thumb
195 Posts
Mar 4, 2015 5:41am
via Android

Vanessa, those 12% are just my personal number at the moment - no need to take this as a rule!

If I get your post right, your intake is 1500 and you work out daily to burn about 750 cals. Without doing any maths your daily balance is definitely negative with these numbers and you will lose.

To get more exact numbers read Scotty K's post on calculating the BMR resp. the TDEE. As it's a little hard to decide on the activity factor I'd use the BMR, the amount your body burns in rest, as a basis. This is the minimum amount your body will burn with basic functions (breathing, digestion, pumping blood). Thus, this is also the amount you can eat without gaining. As soon as you are working our (or even moving), you will burn more.

Example: when your BMR is 1300, your intake is 1500 and you work out for 750 cals, you're 550 cals 'short' in your balance. To be short is the area you want to reach when you want to lose.

And then it's another simple mathematics: you need to lose or cut down about 7500 cals to lose 1kg of fat, in the above example it would take you about 15 days for this kilo. Knowing this you can easily control your intake to lose it the healthy way (1 to max 2 pounds a week is a good and healthy pace).

04 Mar
But I'm thinking being too much under your BMR isn't healthy either since this will deprive your body of the calories it needs to function. If I understand things correctly sticking to your TDEE will maintain your current weight. So I use my TDEE as a starting point and then calculate my preferred deficit from that. In my opinion everything under 1500 is unhealthy given that you're an active person.
04 Mar
True - that's why my average intake is usually lightly above my BMR resp. the TDEE for close to no movement. Thus I reach a light and healthy deficit while still eating enough. But I also think, to have 2 or 3 days with a rather big deficit won't do any harm. I like to see it the way that I shock my body sometimes and thus prevent it from getting into a comfort zone, knowing which energy to store and what challenge to expect. When not doing this for too long, the body won't go into starvation mode and...
04 Mar
2 or 3 days a week and not in a row I should amend.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 4, 2015 7:07am
via Android

I read through scotty k's posts and worked out my BMR and TDEE but for some reason the equasions i got was like 2000+ cal intake to maintain weight and burning 700+ cals a day. But when i compared my current intake and cals burnt daily they were both 39% lower than what the equasion gave me. So not exactly sure on if its related to my specific body type etc on why it came out like that but i also msgd scotty k and gave him my details and how i worked everything out so he can check it for me and see if its correct or not. Im just waiting to see if he can shed some light on what the go is

04 Mar
That's definitely a good idea - Scotty's a pro with that stufg
04 Mar
Btw: I think you're a totally healthy weight and don't need to lose any grams. Just do say 2 or 3 workouts on a daily basis and you will tone up in no time. Best of luck!
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 5, 2015 6:30am
via Android

Thanks, before i started exercising and counting cals i ate healthy anyway and have always been "naturally slim build" #blessed lol. Im doing it for 100 other reasons like sleeping better and feeling more energised and less lazy and just trying to lead a more consiously healthy lifestyle. Thats why i do yoga daily aswell, its such a stress relief and the stretches physcially feel amazing. I swear its my new addiction lol. Any mucle toning or weight loss is a bonus really. So i figured it i add some goals to loose 5kg and tone up it will help the confidence and give me a solid thing to keep me motivated seeing real changes aswell as feeling natural changes like better sleep and better moods :)

05 Mar
Good thinking! Eating healthy and exercising isn't about losing weight, it's about being healthy and feeling good about yourself. Having goals is great, but I do recommend you focus on the toning part instead of your weight, by using a measuring tape and taking body pictures. My starting weight was somewhere around 85 kg but I haven't weighed myself since. It's no use, since I might have gained more muscle than I've lost fat. My measures and body pics on the other hand show me that I've made great progress. Yoga is great and I swear by it! I recommend...
05 Mar
Thanks for the support anna. Im in love with this app and the people on it. Everyone is so helpful and especially understanding since im a begginer. Im loving my new lifestyle so far and suprisingly i feel more full and satisfied than i was before i started. Being fot and healthy isnt such hardwork when you develop a love for it. I plan to add weight training in once ive got a grip on the eating and basic workouts im doing so im not overloading myself with goals at once and focusing hard to meet my bodys needs. Usually...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51