Processed foods?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 8:20am
via Android

I read and watched this video of YouTube and it was saying that all processed foods are bad for your body because they are the ones that make you fat. The video said that all of the chemicals they put into the food, your body stores as fat. As your body doesn't know what these chemicals are they store them in the fat to keep them away from something. I wanted to know your opinions on it? Thank you.

10 Mar
I think it's a good rule to stay away from food if it bares no resembled to the food it's meant to be. Too many ingredients in things is not good. Not sure about the storing it as fat but using common sense or can't be good for you.
10 Mar
I agree I switched to paleo for that reason.
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 10:50am
via Android

No the body doesn't work like that, fat is it's go to energy reserve where it puts the excess food you consume and not all processed food is not bad for example the protein powder, green tea extract etc the problem with processed food is that the companies usually strip away the vitamins or fibre etc and add artificial flavours etc which are not natural like processed flour etc eat whole foods but don't buy into the bs of chemicals being stored as fat

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 11:35am
via Android

I've never heard of chemicals turning into fat in the body and it doesn't sound plausible. But chemicals can be stored IN body fat, as well as certain minerals and vitamins and heavy metals found in nature (this is why animals and fish higher up in the food chain can die from eg led poisoning or chemicals released by humans into nature).

Processed food often contain added sugar though, because it's been stripped of its natural flavors. This also goes for several low fat dairy products, like yoghurt. I advice you to always read labels before you buy anything and stick to as clean food and products as possible. Next time you go to the store, compare the labels of a full fat unflavored yoghurt and a low fat flavored one! I rather eat a little less of a full fat yoghurt with two ingredients (milk and yoghurt cultures) than low fat yoghurt with ten different ingredients, including sugar or other sweeteners. Sugar is more bound to get you fatter than fat.

10 Mar
I don't know why I'm so obsessed with talking about yoghurt, but I guess it's an easily understandable example of the difference between non-processed and processed food.
10 Mar
I think the worse thing with processed food is that nobody really know how does it affect body...in the context of human history it's very fresh and untested way of eating, unfamiliar to our bodies. So, I would try to avoid it as much as possible and stick with the "real" food, organic if possible.
10 Mar
Exactly, Daneejela! Even when single chemicals are tested and considered non-hazardous, we have NO idea of how the cocktail of chemicals that humans are exposed to every day (and not only through food!) will affect us in the long run.
10 Mar
You're right, Anna. Low fat and no fat food contain more sugars and other chemicals such as preservatives, dyes etc. You'd be surprised how many things even non sugar stuff contain hidden sugars. The low fat gallon of milk in my fridge contains 14 grams of sugar! It's wise to read labels closely for hidden sugars and chemicals. I avoid canned, packaged and frozen dinner type things whenever possible.
11 Mar
But is it milk sugar that's naturally in milk or is it added sugar? When you remove the fat the milk sugar will naturally become a higher percentage of the total amount of nutrients. As a matter of fact all carbs are partly sugar, without any refined sugar being added. So there's a difference between different kinds of sugar (refined being the "worst") and avoiding ALL kinds of sugar would be close to impossible. You'd have to eat only 100% carb free foods. BUT. Of course it's better to choose the option with the smallest amount of natural sugars but...
Image_thumb
158 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 11:47am
via Android

I share the same opinion as Anna

Image_thumb
27 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 11:51am
via Android

Anna, absolutey agree with you about yoghurt...I think the same, I would reather eat a bit more fat or sugar, then chemicals

10 Mar
Yeah if facing the choice between sugar or chemicals I choose sugar too. But always fat before sugar!
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 12:02pm
via Android

Anna is right. Read the labels. Processed foods are mostly high is sodium. Also, most processed foods are stored in a can or plastic bottles which contains BPA - an estrogenlike chemical that wreaks havoc to your hormones. This causes cancers, and for guys, man boobs. O_O  And lastly, try to avoid foods with chemical ingredients that you find hard to read and pronounce. Choose foods that are close to their natural state...

10 Mar
Yes, the estrogen aspect is interesting (in a horrifying manner) too! Huge amounts of synthetic estrogen is released into our water bodies each year, originating from hormonal contraceptives. Worse than man boobs, it also affects sperm quality and testosterone levels in both men and women and causes girls to reach puberty earlier than they should. Among other things.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51