Calorie counting

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Mar 11, 2015 3:39pm
via Android

Is it bad for you if you intake less than 1000 calories a day . Will you still get good results and quicker or will it slow things down . And what is the lowest amount of calories a girl can intake a day and still be healthy. I've been trying to count calories and diet and for the past week I barely hit 1000 calories a day and I'm working out twice or more a day . Is that ok?

11 Mar
Look online for the calorie calculator that tells you the base amount of calories your body burns just by breathing and body function etc. The name slips my mind. Anyway that is you starting point anything less will start to cause biological problems. Pretty sure it's at least 1200+ for most. The problem is not the calories we intake it's the way we get them. We need nutrient rich food to function or the body breaks down. There should be no issue with 1700 calories for you as are working out now. Drink plenty of water and eat real unprocessed...
11 Mar
Just thought about it. Called the basal metabolic rate
11 Mar
My BMR is about 1500 cals a day, and that's calculated on being lightly active, since I sit most of the day. It's never adviced for women to go under 1200 a day, not even when trying to lose weight. A lot of women don't eat enough, I guess we're just so indoctrinated with the idea of constantly thinking about what we eat.
11 Mar
No, sorry. I can't edit or delete the comment. My BMR is of course the amount of calories my body burns for its own functions.
11 Mar
Thanks guys but I thought on my fitness pal it says girls can go as low as 1000 calories
Image_thumb
43 Posts
Mar 11, 2015 5:01pm
via iOS
At 1000 calories a day you are undereating and in fact should not dip below 1200 a day. Yes it's likely you'll lose weight but it's not healthy and usually not long term loss because once you start eating normal quantities again you'll gain it right back. Look into my fitness pal for cal counting and don't dip below 1200 and if you are burning a lot of calories you may need to eat Even more than 1200 to fuel yourself.
11 Mar
That's what I was trying say in my long speech. Thanks Bl3ss3d
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 5:56am
via Android

My fitness pal or sparkpeople.  I use sparkpeople.  But 1000 cal a day is short term weight loss like already said on this topic. The FDA recommend 1500 cals I think for women. Idk how much you weigh or ananything.  But I recomend finding out your maintenance level and then setting a weight loss goal for june "summer" and going on a more doable defecit. Good luck charday

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 9:22am
via Android

Charday, I suggest you look into the posts "Want to lose or gain weight" and "Healthy eating and nutrition for beginners". There's a lot of info on how you calculate your BMR and your TDEE (that's an estimate on how many calories you burn per day based on your BMR and your activity level). I'm happy to assist you if you need help with the calculations, just pm me!

Advice and guidelines like "eat this and that much per day" are very generic and don't take into account your age, size, activity level and so on. I'm surprised that the National Institute of Health according to Myfitnesspal advises 1000-1200 calories a day for women. If you ask me that's really low and especially if you're working out. On a 1000 cal diet your body is gonna eat your muscles for energy and your workouts will be meaningless. As I've for the past months gained more experience and knowledge my opinion now is you shouldn't go lower than your BMR and ESPECIALLY not if you work out. I'm also starting to think it's good to shock your body once in a while so it doesn't get used to a certain level, but I don't have enough experience of that yet to give it as an advice.

12 Mar
Totally true. May I just add that not only your body will try to burn muscle but also will try to save as much as he can from the little intake. Result: your metabolism will slow down to starvation mode. Thus, your initial weight loss will soon end as the body only uses the absolute minimum of the calories and stores the rest (ending up in a huge weight gain whenever starting to eat normal) and secondly, you will feel lethargic, weak, tired and cold all the time. Choice is yours...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51