Knees hurt after squats!

3 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Mar 24, 2015 7:07pm
via Android

Hey everyone!

I have a question. I am just a beginner here trying to get in shape and lose fat. Today, I did some squats as part of a workout routine from here but the problem is, I wasnt even into it for 30 sec when my knees started to hurt. So, I rested for a minute or so and started again only to have me knees start hurting again. Is this supposed to happen since im just starting out and Iam overweight? Or am I doing something wrong?

24 Mar
Just keep going in small sections and see if u get better, if not, maybe it's not for u, or try finding out what's wrong hope this helps!
24 Mar
Is this your first time ?
24 Mar
Yes Razan it is.
24 Mar
Hey Aaron, thanks for the advice :) Just to be sure though... Smaller sections as in fewer reps?? Sorry had to ask, just getting the hang of this.!
24 Mar
Yeah, sorry just a few 15 seconds for a few days and then get more and more in
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Mar 24, 2015 11:02pm
via Android

Make sure your knees are behind your toes when squatting - this will take a lot of pressure from the knees!

25 Mar
Ahan okay will focus on my form from now on. Thanks! :)
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 25, 2015 9:01am
via Android

Go sloooowly. Check your form all the time. Where are your knees? In what direction are they pointing? In what angle are they? Your knees should be right above your ankles, pointing in the same direction as your toes and not falling in- or outwards. Stick your butt back and out and bend to as close to 90 degrees as possible in your knees. Having a chair behind you can help you see how low you should go. Squeeze your buttocks and hamstrings as tight as you can coming up. Start with doing just regular squats without any jumping or exploding up and down. It's much better doing five with excellent form than doing ten without paying attention to form.

25 Mar
Thanks for the advice Anna :) Will focus on my form in my next workout!
25 Mar
You're welcome! I have the same problem, old knee injuries that often flare up after leg workouts. I'm struggling with form myself so I know what it's like.
25 Mar
Aw I hope you get better soon!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51