Losing weight and taking protien. Need guidance.

2 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
20 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 2:36pm
via Android

I'm losing weight by doing cardio and hitting gym. I've lost 5kgs, i have got 20 more to go. Should i start taking protien shakes in order to avoid any muscle loss?

04 Apr
If you keep your workouts at the right intensity you will never lose muscle. Once you burn through all of your calories in a workout your body starts to break muscle down. Protein shakes will deffiently help build muscle!
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 3:09pm
via Android

I've my opinion on that. Normal healthy nutrition will prevent you from any lack of protein whatsoever. I've been working out for 15 years now, had times when I lost over 20 kgs and NEVER felt the need to touch any of those drinks.

Basically it's the fitness industry trying to make us believe that we need it. Actually there's only 3% of active people who MAY need it - if even.

When you watch your macrobiotics and lift heavy, you'll never lose muscle. Before you'll burn muscle due to cardio, you'd have to starve yourself extremely or run till you faint.

04 Apr
Thats interesting. I should look towards natural proteins, shouldn't i? Eggs, chicken, soya and milk products.
04 Apr
Brahmjot, yes. IF you still don't get enough protein you can consider protein powder. I use it myself since my protein intake is really poor. I'm working hard on eating more proteins and I don't take the powder every day. If you don't log your food, start doing it to keep track of your macronutrients.
04 Apr
Natural proteins is always the way to go. Only see if you need supplements if you really can't keep up with healthy nutrition. There's tons of possibilities like chicken, eggs, fish, beans, beef...
04 Apr
Matthias I feel a huge need to correct you. Micronutrients, not macrobiotics.
04 Apr
Yeah it's always embarrassing when you correct someone and autocorrect fails you. *macronutrients

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51