Weight Loss and Prednisone

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
7 Posts
May 13, 2015 6:47pm
via Android

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anybody here has either taken long term prednisone or has taken prednisone throughout their life (pneumonia episode, chest inflammation, etc) and has been able to lose weight. I have taken prednisone numerous times throughout my life. On an average of 3-4 times a year for more about 10 years. Some years I would have a good one and only need 1. Have you been able to lose weight? I have heard with long use of prednisone you will get muscle weakness which I know and permanent weight gain. Do you have any experiences/success stories to share?

15 May
Cheering that you don't have to take the medicine as often. :-) Certainly you can lose weight and increase muscle despite prednisone and other forms of cortisone. You know how the medication moves fat into other areas, even while you're on the medicine? Those spots will reduce in size. Cortisone will "weaken" bones and muscles, and nowadays my doctors have me take extra calcium with D to help maintain bone density. Good luck and best wishes on your improving health.
15 May
Doing weight bearing exercise, especially walking, should help you rebuild muscle and reduce the chance of bone loss. :-)
Image_thumb
7 Posts
May 13, 2015 6:51pm
via Android

Like, I am wondering basically If I can repair my body now that I am getting older I am getting less sick. For the past five years I have only need 1 or zero times per year.

Image_thumb
86 Posts
May 14, 2015 12:48pm
via Android

are you asking if you should take this to lose weight? unclear of question! :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51