Eat more and move less or eat less and move more?

3 posts | Original | Recent
7 Posts
May 15, 2015 4:55pm
via Android

What exactly has worked for you?

I don't know what to go off by. Everything contradicts itself. Eat less, it burns off fat! No no, eat more otherwise the fat sticks!

For the past five weeks I have been working out. For the past two weeks, I have been working out for 60-120 minutes a day. Varying, but always an hour a day. (Including Walking 3 mph, weightlifting, cardio exercises, and yoga).

I had at first lost 5 pounds in two and a half weeks. 234-229. But now, this fifth week I was 232. I ate only 1500-1900 (sometimes 2000) calories a day (based on my weight and fitness activity) but now I have gained weight.

I looked, and apparently what I read was I wasn't eating enough. That I need 2000-2500 a day in order to lose weight and only do 30-45 minutes a day. What?

What exactly is it? I know I should talk to my doctor, but I can't get in until June and I want some progress first.. help? Anyone?

950 Posts
May 15, 2015 5:47pm
via Android

Eating more to lose weight is based on the myth of starvation mode. It's a real thing that happens to people who are in danger of dying of starvation but somehow it got turned into this idea that fitness people passed around saying that's why we don't lose weight. It's usually bs.  If your weight loss goal gives you a target range of calories, then go for it, keep it up. There are a few reasons it might not be working besides 'you're just magically not losing weight in defiance of the laws of physics' and those are: water retention, glycogen storage, digestion changes, changes in body chemistry and gut bacteria (which can change how you absorb calories), changes in how your body responds to exercise (as we get used to something we burn fewer calories doing it). Each of these alone may be a small effect but they can combine.

Then there are the most probable culprits which are usually some miscalculation or over/under estimate somewhere.

Try to adjust for a slightly fewer calories next week. You could be over calculating exercise burn, missing some calories you ate somehow, or be falling on the lower edge of your base level of daily activity (you know:sedentary, lightly active, very active) which is not exactly accurate for everyone.

Don't get too worried. The science of eat fewer calories than you burn is solid, and basic. You just gotta fiddle with your numbers to dial things in as your body changes.

16 May
Thank you very much :) yeah all I have been getting is starvation mode and I didn't even get to that when I was eating 1400 calories. I might go back to that. Since I was losing weight that way. Love the advice and information thank you! :)
1 Post
May 16, 2015 2:10am
via iOS
I think you need to stop worrying about the weight. According to what I have read sometimes its your muscle that adds up in your weight not the fats. About your question about eating   my suggestion is that  if you eat more you need to move more. Because it will add up to your weight if you dont burn it up. If you want to totally loose weight eat small frequent healthy meals then do workouts. That will give you great results. 
16 May
Haha thanks :) and yes that makes sense. I need to lose the scale since it isn't very helpful because I have measured myself and have lost inches! Yay muscle! Lol.
16 May
good! Just continue burning those fats! Goodluck!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51