Accountability.

2 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 19, 2016 1:30pm
via iOS
Growing up our parents would remind us and ask us if we did our chores, ate our vegetables and then they would verify it. They held us accountable for our actions more for the reason that we would hold ourselves accountable as we age. If you have a friend, spouse, mentor or partner that asks you about your progress or a trainer who has you notate what you eat it forces you to become more aware.

This awareness creates a spark of "expectation" and we are more likely to succeed if we know what's to come. If you know you have a test in three weeks, you can't expect to ace it without applying the material. The same goes for weight loss except it's even more plan oriented, meaning that if you stick to a plan and hold yourself accountable, you'll likely reap the benefits and see your desired outcome come each measurement.

If I measure a client every three weeks of training and they know what to expect, it's only in their best interest to hold themselves accountable. Numbers don't lie. Results come from disciplined accountability.

So, how do you hold yourself accountable?

Jeff Clagg, ACE CPT

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Apr 19, 2016 4:28pm
via Android

Since I not a very structured person by nature, I need to set clear rules and goals for myself.

A few long term goals. These are mainly bodyweight and strength orientated.

Let's say I want to lose 10kg by the end of the year. And have a squat of 150kg at my new bodyweight.

Next are small steps. Lose arround 1,5kg a month.

Eat in a deficit 6 days of the week. 1 day allows for more. Perfect would be at arround maintainance.
Have a kcal deficit at arround 400 a day. With a minimal protein intake of 170 grams.

So my accountability comes from setting small goals that are easy to reach, this allows me to keep track of the bigger goals. If you only look at the big goal it takes a long time before you reach it. With a lot of points in that road that will be hard.

Even if I would fail to keep my kcal low for several days, I still got a easy to reach goal the next day to get my back on track. Setting a long term goal is a paradox. It is the most important thing, but not what I focus on. I focus on small things that are easy to reach and take the less amount of effort. And by hitting those, I will reach my final goal as well.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51