Weight loss after knee surgery

4 posts | Original | Recent

Pearo-0009_thumb
5 Posts
Apr 21, 2016 2:52pm

Hey guys!

So here I am a week and a half post op from my meniscal allograft transplant in my left knee. Second times a charm I hope. Anyway I am finding it very difficult to figure out what to do to keep myself from gaining a ton of weight while I cant walk. I am on crutches so I have been trying to move around as much as possible before I get too tired and need to lie down. Anyone have any experience with this? I am going from getting to the gym 4x a week to not being able to do anything. Any advice is welcome!

21 Apr
Since you can't walk, the safest way for you to exercise is probably doing upper body stuff. Grab a couple dumbbells and do some bicep curls, etc. (lots of ideas online just google "dumbbell exercises for arms"). Maybe do some crunches or something like that that won't hurt your knee. But the MOST important thing is to rest so you can fully recover and get back to working out! Best of luck!!!
21 Apr
Oh forgot to mention- just by eating right you can still lose some weight and not have to do exercise until you are better...
23 Apr
Hi, I am week 4 post op and I know how frustrating it is especially when you were active before your op. I recommend doing lots of upper body, but it's important to listen to you body and try not to over do anything...I hope you have a great physiotherapist as they will be able to give you exercises to do as well.
28 Apr
I recommend doing workouts that do not put strain on your knees.I have never had knee surgery but I have injured my left knee.during that time I left out squats,lunges,and anything that puts stress on the knees
Pearo-0009_thumb
5 Posts
Apr 26, 2016 11:26pm
via iOS
Thanks!! I have been trying to do upper body workouts as much as possible and some crunches when I can get to the floor. Jenn what surgery did you have??
Image_thumb
4 Posts
May 1, 2016 5:11am
via iOS
Full ACL reconstruction and Mencius repair.  I'm getting there slowly I hoping to start swimming when I reach the 6 week mark.  I have only just got to bend my knee to 85 degrees so I have just today started on the exercise bike.  How are you progressing? Weight bearing yet?
Image_thumb
1 Post
May 11, 2016 2:23pm
via Android

I had ACL reconstruction and meniscectomy two years ago. I've never been a terribly athletic person so after my injury/surgery I was so scared of re-injury that I became even more sedentary. I got depressed. I got fat. Getting back in shape (and staying that way) is a journey. In the beginning, the elliptical (aka The Bane of My Existence) was a must. Also, researching low impact alternatives to common exercises was definitely helpful. There's a ton of info out there to get you through. My doc was super helpful on providing me with most of the information, as well as my PT peeps.

I'm getting into the swing of things with this app and despite my reservations about everybody on here being fitness freaks in the style of Susan Powter, all the people I've talked to are pretty great. It's a supportive and encouraging camaraderie.. not to mention the butt-kicking programs! Best of luck on your recovery! If you need a buddy, give me a shout.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51