90 day new year's shred

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1016 Posts
Jan 13, 2017 8:13pm
via Android

So the holidays have come and gone and there are still cookies left in my house. My aunt brought over a big ol' cheese Danish that hasn't even been opened yet and it's been three days. Somebody left chocolate tarts for us in the break room at work and I didn't touch them. Why?

Because I'm KILLING IT THIS NEW YEAR.

After considering the excess bulk I've accumulated over the past two months I decided to start off the new year with, which is very unlike me, a resolution: to shred my bodyfat down to a single digit percentage, hopefully within 90 days. It's ambitious, it's extreme, it's out of my comfort zone, it's exciting and perfect for this new year.

So you can follow along if you like. I'll be logging all my workouts here, and creating new ones frequently. Check out my "shred" collection of workouts. Follow me and keep an eye on what workouts I do. Join in and try to keep up if you like! Honestly don't be intimidated, it's not even as intense as it could be (although Tabata workouts are pretty crazy). I'm making up for that by really focusing on nutrition and calories. I'm using myfitnesspal and cycling through high carb and low carb days. I eat more carbs on days when I lift more weight.

I'll probably be updating my photos, although I'm a bit shy, with some progress pics. Follow my other social media accounts (check my profile) for more.

I've never attempted anything this specifically extreme before, I've always been more focused on the long term sustainable lifestyle of being generally healthy while also enjoying donuts every now and then. But NOT TODAY. I'm going to see what it's like to try to push that envelope.

Wish me luck! Join me! We can support each other in this new direction!

14 Jan
Hello there, Patrick. Sounds like you know what you're doing! (Sort of.) I'm MsBootcamp, currently a PRO+ Skimble member, thinking to get certified as a community health coach or nutrition coach, or as a fitness trainer. Right now I'm working on myself. Dropping some weight, and hope to pop a bit more muscle. I've always loved sports and fitness, and although I've always been health-conscious, food-wise, like ALL Americans, I've been affected, long term, by the U.S. junk, food, and sugar industries(!!) Not a pretty picture, at all. But now, finally, I think I see light coming down the tunnel,...
Image_thumb
36 Posts
Jan 14, 2017 7:22pm
via iOS
I replied. See comments below Patrick's first post. -- OK, so there's a difference between a "comment" and a "reply." Go figure. Here's what I wrote.  

Hello there, Patrick. Sounds like you know what you're doing! (Sort of.) 

I'm MsBootcamp, currently a PRO+ Skimble member, thinking to get certified as a community health coach or nutrition coach, or as a fitness trainer. Right now I'm working on myself. Dropping some weight, and hope to pop a bit more muscle. I've always loved sports and fitness, and although I've always been health-conscious, food-wise, like ALL Americans, I've been affected, long term, by the U.S. junk, food, and sugar industries(!!) Not a pretty picture, at all. But now, finally, I think I see light coming down the tunnel, and I don't THINK it's a freight train...   -- Hoping to reach the first of my target weights starting this May, 2017. I eat slow-carb, vegetarian (except for salmon), and high-protein; and I LOVE kettlebells and heavy weight. After kbells, my other preferred iron is dumbbells. Thanks for sharing your journey! - MsBootcamp 

16 Jan
nice to meet you, MsBootcamp
Image_thumb
1016 Posts
Jan 23, 2017 2:28pm
via Android

OK so I've lost roughly ten pounds, and gone down roughly 3% body fat. I just keep alternating between low carb low calorie days and high carb just barely below maintenance calorie days. You can follow my workouts on my profile, the resistance workouts are on high carb days. On low carb days I've been doing HIIT, yoga, steady state cardio, or just resting.

The first few pounds were easy, as they usually are. After that, I am realizing I need to dial in my estimates I'm using, and maintain a higher overall deficit, to get the results I want in the time I'm shooting for.

The challenge is to lose fat while maintaining or even building muscle. An age old, much debated dilemma in the fitness world.

So far so good, though. I am seeing a bit more definition. Thinking of how I can cram more Workout time into my busy schedule, but really, the cool thing about weight loss is that it doesn't necessarily require any exercise or even much effort at all. Net calorie reduction is key, however you achieve that is a question of style.

Image_thumb
1047 Posts
Jan 30, 2017 9:36am
via Android

Hi Patrick.

A cool goal, I'm following. Singel digits are though!!

Are you already adding cardio or waiting to use it if you might stop dropping weight?

And are meassuring bf with clipper or still eyeballing until at the end?

Image_thumb
1016 Posts
Jan 30, 2017 3:55pm
via Android

I've was using cardio sporadically on low carb days to boost the deficit, but since reading some stuff about cardio and muscle building I've been incorporating it into more of my workouts.

I use a handheld body analyzer by omron, picked it up off Amazon for about 30 to 40 USD.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,220 topics, 38,285 posts

Motivation & Support

8,521 topics, 41,754 posts

App Updates

15 topics, 45 posts

Ask the Pros

719 topics, 1,828 posts

Workouts and Programs