Metabolism stuck...pissed, nothing works!!

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
20 Posts
Jan 21, 2017 2:00pm
via iOS
I cannot seem to lose weight. I am in a viscous cycle of lose 1-2lb, the next week I gain it back. It has been this way for 3 years....and I just keep gradually gaining. I will not let this happen this year!

I exercise at least 4 days a week, eat 1600 cal of clean food, cut carbs & sugar, drink at least 80 oz water. I weigh 184. 

What can I try to get my body burning? Carb cycling? Some sort of fasting? Food combining? I'm ok with trying a supplement, but nothing unsafe & prefer natural.

Please help!!
22 Jan
Hey Jessica. Good effort so far! It sure can be difficult to stay consistent. I've found creating a fun workout that you enjoy will help with being consistent. Is your goal to just lose weight or also build some muscle? And what does your workout routine usually look like. Thanks
23 Jan
I usually do weights 20-30 min 2x/week. I do cardio afterward for 30 min. 1x/week I do a 45 min HIIT workout. The other day I do a variety, sometimes it's yoga, abs, several short workouts on work breaks. On my off days, at least 1-2 times I get 30 min in by walking.
27 Jan
That's great. I recommend writing down what you eat daily, as well as logging ur workouts and give it a few weeks/months. Eventually you'll start to see progress and if not, you'll be able to look back and make some changes because you have it written down.
Image_thumb
1016 Posts
Jan 23, 2017 7:20pm
via Android

I'm going to tell you something that you may not like. No gimmicks, no tricks. Part of it you already know, the rest, well, let me just get started...

The only way to really lose weight is to maintain a net caloric deficit. Any method you try, like the ones you've mentioned, fasting, carb cycling... Anything you may have read about metabolism boosting or insulin sensitivity or what have you, all gimmicks, for the most part, which have, at most, minute influence on results.  Any method is, in the end, only as effective as much as it reduces overall caloric intake.

Different techniques may work better for different people, but that's more of a personality/psychological thing, than it is physiological. Studies show that whatever technique gets you to maintain a deficit, ideally while not really thinking about it too much, well that's the one that will likely work for you. While there is a lot we still have yet to learn about how different people respond, physically, to different diets and exercise programs, the evidence so far always overwhelmingly comes back to overall net caloric deficit.

So, that all being said, if your calculations are all pointing to weight loss, but you're not losing, the only possible reasons are:
--you are consuming more calories than you think you are
--You are burning fewer than you think you are
--Your basal metabolic rate is lower than your estimates say it is

These are all very common reasons, since they are all, in the end, simply estimates. No one in the world can say exactly how many calories they consume and burn in a day, and an underestimation of a meager 200 calories a day can make the difference of almost 2lbs a month. We can estimate, and then adjust our estimates based on results. Your results say you need to adjust one or more of those three vectors.

Personally, I usually don't calculate all the exercise calories that I could. I will maybe enter my exercise into myfitnesspal at about half or one third the time I actually spent, if I enter it at all. I just assume that those figures are inflated, because I am definitely not going one hundred percent for every minute of my workout time.

Another thing you could do is just calculate your BMR using a lower general activity level than you actually think you maintain. Most calorie counters only have three or four categories, from sedentary to very active, right? Just adjust down one notch on that scale and recalculate.

I know it's discouraging. It probably feels like your body has its own agenda it is following, and it DOES. Your body's agenda is almost NEVER "lose weight." It is maintenance, and it will do everything to accomplish this, including messing with your thinking.

Just make a few adjustments to some of your assumptions, and a few weeks down the road re-assess what your results are versus your expectations, and adjust again. It's simpler in theory than in practice, but really, that's what it breaks down to. The laws of physics must, in the end, apply uncompromisingly to everything, including your body.

25 Jan
This is fantastic Patrick. There's no advice I won't listen to from someone who knows their stuff. You sure seem to. I lost 80 lbs on the calories in calories out method. That was 2009-2010. I definitely believe in it. It was incredibly simple. I didn't discriminate in what foods, I just stayed under my calories. I never considered workout burn. I just counted that as a bonus. It took me exactly 1 year. However, I also had just delivered a baby & was nursing for the 1st 3 months. After I hit my goal weight....130 lb, I did ok...
25 Jan
wow 80 lbs that's awesome. so you certainly know a thing or two about losing weight. I would guess you're just at that point where your body fights harder for that equilibrium, and may take more effort to budge it the way you want. have you looked into intermittent fasting? Pretty simple, and you can kind of adjust the concept a lot, to fit into your life. These days I'm doing kind of a carb cycling type thing, and it works for me. I only say it that way cuz I actually haven't studied up much on what carb cycling...
25 Jan
Very solid advice Patrick.
13615025_10154362714279365_785994729895790753_n
1 Post
Jan 23, 2017 8:59pm
via iOS
Hi Jessica,I feel you. I am
Exactly like you. My weight never seem to go down even though I workout almost everyday and sweat like a pig
24 Jan
Calories in calories out worked for me once upon a time. Since that stopped working, nothing has
Image_thumb
36 Posts
Jan 23, 2017 10:17pm
via iOS
Hi Jessica! As another woman, I'm going to ask you two questions. How old are you? And, have you had your metabolism (and related issues) checked by your doctor?? They can do blood tests to let you know where you stand. 

200 calories of carbs (especially from sugar and other white/simple carbohydrates) versus 200 of protein do NOT have the same effect on everyone's body. 

Also, how's your sleep?? That's when the body is letting go of fat. (At least for women.) 

Would love to hear how this goes for you, since have been there myself. 

Every good thing!
25 Jan
Thank you for posting. I think my sleep is ok. I usually sleep at least 7-7 1/2 hours a night. I get 8-9 hours on weekends. I'm trying to watch my carbs, some weeks are better than others. I'm doing good keeping sugar low at only 1-2 treats a week. A treat is considered even an bite size candy bar. I did a metabolic test at the fitness center. It showed calorie burn from a breathing test. It said I burned 1400/day, which is what I was consuming at the time. The trainer was surprised & didn't have a lot...
25 Jan
The body has way more difficult pathways to deal with fat than to say it's sleep. It's alot more about being in a calorie deficit creating more needs for lipid metabolism. Which in turn is greater than the amount of fats stored.
Image_thumb
1047 Posts
Jan 25, 2017 9:43am
via Android

Hi there!

It seems to me you are on the right check. But you just need a wake up moment, in the sense that's cutting is going to suck. This because it will probably mean you will have to eat less then you might want to. The leaner you get the harder and stricter you have to diet.

Patrick has given some very good advice before in here. You will have to create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight/fat.

The first thing you will need to calculate is your TDEE. This is your total daily energy expenditure. You will have to stay under this over a prolonged period of time in order to lose fat. Calcators give a very good estimate.

It is very wise you have had your thyroid tested. Since indeed this plays a big factor in the production of hormones. Luckily for you they didn't find any problems, this means you can stay of meds!!! Which is always good.

To be frank,  your metabolism can't really be broken. It will adapt. This is called thermogenic adaptation. Which is a difficult concept since it's not really measurrable. And not everyone reacts the same to losing weight. Specially obese and untrained ppl who start training.

The take home message is. Calculate your TDEE. Make a serious effort with eating below this. And keep weight training. You can do cardio. Or add it in later.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

26 Jan
I certainly will! I have an Apple Watch that helps me with active calorie burn. I'll look into the TDEE. Really, thank you!!
26 Jan
Don't put too much into the kcal burned of the watch. Rather work with general activity levels
Image_thumb
20 Posts
Jan 26, 2017 3:40am
via iOS
Thank you both!! Maybe I will try carb cycling. I've heard a few people say good things about it. If you know anything about a book by Jamie Eason about the topic, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking of finding a starting resource, & heard of that one. 
Image_thumb
1047 Posts
Jan 26, 2017 8:40am
via Android

Hi,

I don't know the book. But I do know carb cycling. I don't think you really need carb cycling tbh. I think this will make it just more difficult for you.

If you want to make a 'easy' start I would recommend focussing on just hitting macro's. And not worying too much about what you eat as in healthy mind set. This is imo largely overrated.

Perhabs a good start would be www.iifym.com to have a look. Alot of info there.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,220 topics, 38,285 posts

Motivation & Support

8,521 topics, 41,754 posts

App Updates

15 topics, 45 posts

Ask the Pros

719 topics, 1,828 posts

Workouts and Programs