Eating more protein for weight loss?

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jul 23, 2017 4:13pm
via Android

I've seen all over the internet of mixed reviews of eating more protein or eating less protein for weight loss..

Honestly the past week and a half I have been eating more protein with vegetables and lots of water along with my working out and I have lost 5 pounds.

What is your opinion? Do you find eating more protein makes you lose weight or doesn't affect weight or makes you gain unwanted weight like fat?

24 Jul
Ms. Lanie, the key is clean eating and staying hydrated. Water cleans toxins out, lubricates cells, and aids in digestion. Which in turn lets the body fluctuate its normal weight. Protein fuels the muscles, which burn more calories. A well oiled machine, with the right fuel will run a long time. I hope this helps. Very respectfully, Justin.
26 Jul
01 Aug
Regarding protein, the key is balance. Not too much not too little. But whatever it is that you are doing, keep doing it. You look amazing.
Image_thumb
35 Posts
Aug 4, 2017 4:29am
via iOS
How many carbohydrates are you eating, and what kind?? Sugar and starch are the problem, and will stall your weight loss or make you gain. FIBER is another type of carb that is very good, and does NOT count toward your daily carb limit. 

Image_thumb
1027 Posts
Aug 7, 2017 12:30am
via Android

The way to lose weight is to maintain a caloric deficit, which means burn more calories than you eat for long enough to lose weight.

Protein doesn't make you lose weight, and carbs don't make you gain weight. Eating fewer calories and exercising more is what works. Any diet that structures itself around how much protein or carbs you're eating only works because it helps people structure their diet to eat less.

There are many ways to lose weight, but in the most basic sense, any weight loss is because of a caloric deficit. You can eat more protein, and that might work, but only if it helps you maintain a caloric deficit. Usually, people feel more full for longer when they eat protein, so they end up eating a little less. If you're not keeping track of things, though, it's just a guessing game and you might not lose weight. Avoiding carbs is a generally reliable way for the average person to lose weight, since our modern lifestyle packs so many calories into our carbs.

There is a lot of different information out there about what macro ratios are healthy for sustained daily active living. Some people believe more protein less carbs, some believe more carbs less protein, some believe more fat and way fewer carbs. Weight loss can be achieved either way, as long as you eat fewer calories than you burn each day. I recommend you read up a bit more into macros and nutrition. All macros: carbs, fats, and proteins, have an important role in a healthy diet.

In my opinion, cutting down a bit on carbs is generally a good idea for most people. But even more so, focusing on eating a whole lot more fruits and vegetables, along with exercising, is the best way to go. More veggies!

Tldr: Weight loss is a result of eating fewer calories, however you do it. Protein, carbs, and fat are all important in a healthy diet, so read up more on nutrition, but generally speaking, most people will probably start to lose weight if they cut down on carbs and increase protein a bit. Eat more veggies!

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,230 topics, 38,324 posts

Motivation & Support

8,518 topics, 41,743 posts

App Updates

14 topics, 47 posts

Ask the Pros

722 topics, 1,835 posts

Workouts and Programs