Confusion on my 1,200 calorie diet

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Feb 23, 2013 8:40am
via Android

Okay, i hope someone can answer my questuon because i have been trying to find an answer but still end up confused. I use my fitness pal and my calorie goal is 1,200 (thats what they put for me) i work out around 4-5 times a week. I normally burn 600 calories by working out. Okay heres where my confusion starts: since im working out almost everyday, do i eat more than 1,200? What i have been doing is eating 1,200 calories a day and if i work out, ill eat some of the calories back or else i would starve. Can i still lose weight this way? Im remaning at my goal and working out so im just confused on whether i can remain there or have to up my calories!

Image_thumb
17 Posts
Feb 23, 2013 8:59am
via iOS
From what I know is that our bodies burn calories with the normal thing we do. I am assuming your calorie intake is for people who want to lose weight.. (Fitness pal asks you that). If you work out, you can eat the amount of calories you've burned off and still lose weight... As long as you do not exceed the calorie intake + the calories burned.

I think if it is 1200, you aim to lose one pound a week? Right?
23 Feb
Yeah one pound or 2, I forgot but I don't go over my limit, I stay on my calorie goal even when I burn calories because I eat them back. If I'm not too hungry, I eat a light snack, I'll be a little under my goal but not too much. So am I doing it right?
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Feb 23, 2013 9:07am
via iOS
I see. Just log everything in your app. :) fitnesspal will tell you how many calories you can still consume. But as for me i do not try to consume all of the calories i burned off from working out.. I leave 100 or 200 sometimes but thats just me. 

Just try to remember, for every 3500 calories consumed/lost, you gain/lose 1 lb.

23 Feb
Yea that's exactly what I do!! Well sometimes I have left around 200 because I'm just not hungry at all. I guess it all depends on how you're feeling. All this math nutrition stuff is so confusing, I guess it's simply eat less exercise more right?
23 Feb
How do I figure out the 3,500 calorie losing/gaining? Do you mean in a whole week or a day?
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Feb 23, 2013 9:16am
via iOS
Hey I dont know why but I do not see your whole message. I guess just reply to the thread? I am quite new to the forums too :)

Yeah it is normally for a week. Try to choose maintain my weight on your app and you will see the normal calorie intake.. And from there subtract 1200 from it.. That is probably the safest way to see the calories you lose. :) 

Mine is 1471 to maintain and to lose is 1200. So actually I am losing weight or <200 calories deficit without even exercising. :) but of course a healthy diet and working out is the way to go. Losing calories too fast is not healthy 
23 Feb
Thank you for that tip, I'll see it now!! So you follow a 1,200 a day diet then? Do you eat w.e u want as long as u don't go over or do u eat healthy?
23 Feb
Btw I just did it, it said to maintain, it would be 2050 so I subtracted 1200 and it said 850??
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Feb 23, 2013 9:22am
via iOS
I used to follow the 1200 calorie intake requirement before when I was a lot of pounds over my desired weight... But since I am satisfied with the weight I have I went back to the maintain my weight option.. :) yes you can eat anything within the limit.. However if you are like me who wants to get rid of the lower belly fat or tummy fat, do not eat processed food or junk food :p
23 Feb
Haha thanks I'll keep that in mind (: how much pounds did you lose following the 1,200 diet? Did you exercise as well?
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Feb 23, 2013 9:32am

Wow really?! 2050? The difference is too much, fitness pal told you the 1200 calorie intake? If you don't mind me asking what's your age, height and weight? I have a fitness pal too. :) Maybe I can check it out for you.. or here's a link you can try online http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm.

I also use livestrong app, pretty nice too but I love fitness pal's prediction with your weight in 5 weeks. 

I didn't really exercise right then.. it was horrible.. I lost only 6-8 lbs in several months.. I was just using a stationary bike back then.. but, when I started boxing and used the 1200 requirement, I did lose weight. :) I didn't keep track anymore.. since I was just enjoying eating and working out. haha.

I was 125 before and now I am 105... :) But I had boxing to thank for and braces... the braces forced me into eating only healthy stuff. :)

23 Feb
Wow that's great!!! What I do is dance zumba and walk at least 2-3 miles everyday, my grandma is actually my workout partner! Haha she has lost a couple of pounds already! And my height is 5'0 weight 159 and age is 19! Idk why it was so high but thank you for checking it out for me!
23 Feb
how cute! I do wish I have my grandma as a workout partner too! No Worries. :) Well, I used livestrong to determine your calorie intake: Sedentary Maintain - 2030 calories Lose 1 lb/week - 1530 Light Maintain - 2326 calories Lose 1lb/week - 1826 Moderate Maintain - 2622 calories Lose 1lb/week - 2122 Very Active - Maintain - 2919 calories Lose 1lb/week -2419 calories Checked Fitnesspal too, and your calorie intake for Sedentary is 1999 to maintain your weight, so if you want to lose 1 lb per week, just eat 1499 calories a day. :) That's 3500 calories...
23 Feb
Thank you so much!!! So does this mean I can't eat 1,200 anymore??
23 Feb
Well it's still up to you, if that's the case you lose more in a week. :) But, don't go below 1200, as it's the minimum calorie intake for women. :) Stick to healthy food. :) Even if you stick to the calorie intake but still eat more junk food it won't do good. Just saying this because I used to do it! Haha and it wasn't nice. :p I had flabs that was so hard to get rid of! :p
23 Feb
So if I stick to my 1,200 a day, I'll still lose a pound a week right?? And omg I will not be doing that!!! I'm gonna try my best to stick to mostly healthy foods (:

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51