Cardio vs. strength help

2 posts | Original | Recent
1 Post
Mar 27, 2013 7:08pm
via iOS
So my gym plan for the last 3.5 weeks has been 45-60 min of cardio, usually I do 15-20 min on 3 different machines so I don't get bored. Then after my cardio I do some more focused training on arms, core, and legs with either body weight exercises or machines. I spend at least 15 minutes doing that. I do 3 days on 1 day off. My diet has been pretty healthy. Trying to do pretty clean eating, no sugar or processed food. I haven't had anything besides coffee or water for 2 months . I'm 30 years old and started at 164 # I'm down to 160 but I feel like I should be losing more, and I'm getting frustrated never had this much trouble losing weight. Even after having my daughter. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what I should be doing? Thanks!
27 Mar
You gotta boost your metabolism girl... how long have you been doing your workout plan? Things don't happen over night but it is also harder to lose weight as we get older . Dr oz has some great shakes and food ideas that will boost you metabolism
27 Mar
I've been trying to loose the weight since about January but have gotten serious with my diet for the last 2 months and have been seriously committed to the 3 days on 1 day off plan for about a month. I was thinking my metabolism has slowed but I just thought I was making excuses with that way of thinking . I love green tea and try to have it throughout the week I know that supposed to help metabolism. But I will have to look at what else dr. Oz has to offer. Thanks for the reply
3 Posts
Mar 28, 2013 6:16am
via Android

Your diet may be clean and healthy, but also make sure you're counting the calories. Burn more than you consume.  Meal timing also plays an important role. Eat your complex carbs earlier in the day when you need the energy, and stick to fibrous in the evening. You may also want to work on your protein/carb/fat ratios, as some are more sensitive to carbs based on body type. Also, you should do your lifting pre-cardio.

28 Mar
I agree. Strength training should always come first. Keep in mind that muscle burns more calories. I would recommend a 5 min warm up followed by your strength training (make sure you are leaving a day of rest between muscle groups. Upper, lower, core. If you are doing full body strength training 3 days in a row your aren't giving your muscles time to repair themselves and get stronger.) After your strength training then you do your cardio.
28 Mar
I almost forgot.... Make sure you are stretching after your workouts too!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51