Myth about carbs

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 9, 2013 9:25am
via Android

There seems to be a stigma against carbs, and that they're the forbidden food group, I'm seeing many people telling people who want to lose weight to avoid carbs. But it might be worth knowing that carbohydrates are supposed to form roughly 60% of our food intake, without it we'd have no energy to workout. Having slow releasing carbohydrates like porridge, pasta, rice etc will give you energy regulated over a long period of time so your body isn't bombarded with excess energy which will be stored as fat. That doesn't mean fast releasing carbs don't have their place, a jam sandwich is a great pre workout snack, once the fast effect of the jam wears off the slower releasing bread will have kicked in. Just a little thing to give some thought before demonising and cutting down on the largest food group in our diet, which is wrongly associated with the fats and sugars group and is rejected in so many diets. Keep training :)

Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Apr 9, 2013 10:12am
via Android

Ofcourse you need carbs! But for the people who are lifting weights and want to lower their bodyfat thus eating less kcals than they burn. In general a low carb diet will give the best results. In general carbs will be arround 40 to 30 % of their diet in a serious cut. It is not that carbs are bad but you have to change your macro's when you have a certain goal in mind!!!

A 'rule' that alot of bodybuilders follow is arround 2 grams of proteine for every kg the body weighs. And circa 1gr of good fats. The rest is filled in with carbs untill you reach the kcal yu require.

If you dont change your carb intake you will never lose that fat.

Oh and a sandwhich with jam is imo not a good preworkout snack.

09 Apr
Actually you're wrong. A jam sambo is almost the perfect thing to have just before a workout and even better just after a workout. You'd be amazed at the amount of athletes and boxers that actually do this.
09 Apr
You have to see my comment as the bodybuilding view. And there are still alot better pre workout meals en deff post workout meals even for boxers...
09 Apr
Oh yeah I do. My food intake and habits would be so different to what a bodybuilder would be doing.
10 Apr
This is such an interesting topic. And I have a few questions on it. Hope you can help me answering a few. I agree that for those females trying to lower body fat %, what should be the preferred macro intake? and how many grms of protein per calorie should be consume? Thanks!!
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 9, 2013 10:22am
via Android

well, yes, it will vary depending on what people are trying to achieve, carbs are less essential for anaerobic activity like body building, but for the majority of people doing cardio, they shouldn't be cutting Down on carbs (unless its to excess of course). As for jam sandwich, I base this round high intensity things, it would be useless and possibly counterproductive to a bodybuilding program, but say someone was about to do an intense cycling session, it would be better than using energy drinks or other supplemental scams as a way of getting some energy.

09 Apr
Lets be honoust. Most ppl do cardio to lose weight and/or to stay in shape. Not to build a competitive condition. On that way you should be a lil lower in carbs than usual. For long durance athletes or ppl who want to build a great condition they should go higher. But this has a reason. They will be burning alot more aswell so to stay on the right intake they have to get more in. So yes it depends on what your goals are. For the ppl who do cardio to burn fat i still think a pre workout...
09 Apr
if the carbs percentage is lower what is going to fill the gap? Protein? many people make the mistake of eating less when trying to lose weight, when they are trying to exercise aswell, it results with the body struggling to cope with the demand of the exercise. Speaking from weight loss perspective, the best exercise is high intensity interval training, so a workout may only last 15 minutes, sugar plays its part in being able to provide energy for a short period of time
09 Apr
You need to create a gab. Thats the whole point. You dont hear me saying cut out all the carbs. But when you are eating 60% carbs it will become very difficult to create a kcal deflict in your nutrition. And this counts for weightloss offcourse. I believe that the combo of deflict of kcal intake and cardio give the best resulst next to weight training. But in my experience nutrition still is key. For any other goal the intake of carbs will increase. Thats why i said your goal decides how you have to go arround this
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 9, 2013 12:37pm
via Android

Ok, I can see where you are coming from, but another possible bad habit does crop up, what's your thoughts on calorie counting? My view is unless the intake is to extreme then it should be monitored, but in all other situations It's a dumb founded practice, as the number itself is not important but what's inside those numbers, someone could say they ate 2000 calories but that could have been 2000 calories of crisps. Better to be a bit over and it be good food, eaten at regular intervals to maintain a high metabolism, as opposed to having the right amount, in 3 large meals that will slow the metabolic rate.

09 Apr
I agree with you on the point that not just the amount of calories is important but the source of these. That is and will never be a discussion point. But i do think that counting calories is great for athletes! How else do you get insight in your diet. Is it enough? Do you notice progress? What changes did you get to better prestations? As for eating 3 meals a day. Some studies have shown that with 3 good meals a day your body will perform the same as with 6 for example. It is just alot easier to...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51