Exercise before breakfast

15 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
May 15, 2013 2:13pm
via Android

Can I do exercise before I have breakfast??

15 May
After sleeping your body is depleted and hence the word 'break' 'fast' meaning you eat to break the fast. Your body doesnt have the energy for a workout you will be even more depleted and dehydrated at least have some carbs and protein like a banana and some whole grain toast with a nut spread before you work out. L
15 May
Thank you for ur advice
19 May
Those are not your abs
Image_thumb
18 Posts
May 15, 2013 2:20pm
via iOS
I'm not an expert but from experience and watching people around me, it's not advised to eat anything before a HARD workout as it may lead to shortage on glucose, but you may, if your workout isn't that intense, like a 45 minute jog for example. :) anddd, it will burn more fat if you don't because you don't have to burn off the food you just ate :P
Image_thumb
152 Posts
May 15, 2013 4:45pm
via iOS
Don't recommend it, you need to get your matabalisum going in the morning. Eat something light before and after. I drink coffee and have a yogurt that helps get me going. Hope this helps! :)
Image_thumb
60 Posts
May 15, 2013 5:02pm
via Android

I never eat in the morning before training it is not fun to lose content of your stomach when you exercise hard. Few years ago I had to eat a bit of bread before training to avoid stomachache. In the afternoon I always eat something small like banana before my training

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
May 16, 2013 7:37am
via Android

Agree with Tom.

Generally, I don't eat before exercising but it does depend how hungry I am.  If I do eat I have a very light snack before but wait until afterwards before eating full meals.

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
May 16, 2013 10:33am
via Android

If Im doing cardio I usually won't eat have breakfast. Even without eating I have the energy for a 10+ mile workout. I'll get some protein in the middle of the workout if I feel I need it. I only do that once a week so I dont know if it would work on a daily basis.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
May 19, 2013 2:21pm
via Android

Actually you hurt your body by not eating before.. Eat something light i usually just have a protein shake and fruit.. Your muscles need the protein for the workout.. Ive seen.people pass out because they did not eat enough or at all

Image_thumb
144 Posts
May 19, 2013 2:35pm
via iOS
I recently started running as fast as I wake Up and I realised the true joy of running on an empty stomach but we're all different
Fullsizeoutput_9c0_thumb
667 Posts
May 19, 2013 4:02pm
via iOS
It's one of the best ways to burn fat because your body is burning the fat that's stored in your body and not the food you at 2 hours ago. It also raises your metabolism throughout the day.
Profile1_thumb
15 Posts
May 20, 2013 11:20am
via Android

I have seen conflicting information on this. One school of thought suggests that you burn fat for energy if you work out before eating and another says you put your body into starvation mode to hang onto the fat.  What say you guys?

Image_thumb
170 Posts
May 20, 2013 12:26pm
via Android

It does not matter cause if u have heard of interminent fasting you will have to fast for 20 to 30 hours but u can drink water during ur fasting time u must workout

Image_thumb
203 Posts
May 20, 2013 7:29pm
via iOS

I work out 6 days a week. Don't eat anything before I workout. working out is usually the first thing I do in the morning after brushing my teeth. I usually drink Cellucor M5 or C4 for workout energy right after or during my warmup. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Super important. Then I eat Breakfast (Oatmeal mostly) and drink a Protein Shake in that order. I am not overweight, or unhealthy, but I am toning for lean muscle mass with slight weight gain. My goal is 175 lbs of pure muscle with 6% to 10% body fat by years end. Hope that helps.

20 Jun
Is that 85kg? What is your hight?
Icon_missing_thumb
14 Posts
May 22, 2013 12:58pm
via Android

I find it alright, because I do a 10k daily b4 breakfast.

Image_thumb
226 Posts
May 22, 2013 1:43pm
via iOS
I recommend eating 30 minutes to an hour before exercising. Eating takes your body out of starvation and supplies your muscle with the sugars that is needs to make energy. When you workout before breakfast, you force your body to burn more muscle then fat. Here is the scientific explanation: When you eat carbs, your body stores the sugars in the form of glucose. When you go through exercise, you muscles use adenosine triphosphate (ATP) for energy, which comes from glucose. Your muscles store glucose. There are organelles in the muscle cells called mitochondria, and those are the "power plants" of the cell. Exercise forces your body to make energy for the muscles so that you can keep going, so your cells' mitochondria receive ATP from the stored glucose to make energy. ATP is one adenosine molecule combined with three phosphate molecules (tri means three). When the ATP from glucose reaches your mitochondria, your mitochondria break off one of the phosphates, and this is what causes you to get energy. You no longer have ATP, you have ADP (adenosine diphosphate) and one phosphate. Your mitochondria then recycle the ADP and use the phosphate for energy. So, your mitochondria use glucose for energy, and the glucose comes from your muscle. Therefore, your body breaks down muscle to give you energy when you workout before eating. When you do eat, however, your body uses the glucose that you just ate for energy instead of breaking down your muscle. Please note that your body does burn fat as well, just in smaller amounts then it does protein (muscle). I good way to think about it is like this: your body uses glucose (carbs/sugars) for quick, instant energy, and your body uses fat for long term energy. That is why people build muscle, so that at rest their muscles use fat for energy, because there is not an instant need. 

I hope this helps! God bless!
20 Jun
I start very early my exercises and run (10-11k) to exercises take just over hour and if I run another hour. I eat straight after as I can't wake up at 4-5 in the morning to get sandwich and if I eat later I might lose my content when exercise hard. What would you suggest?
21 Jun
I recommend eating some fruit. It has good carbs, but at the same time it will not weigh you down. I eat vegetables before working out, and I always feel even better then if I ate a lot of heavy carbs. You probably don't want to eat vegetables in the morning (I wouldn't either), so fruit is probably the best choice. Also, you will only have to wait 20 or so minutes before you workout after eating it. Because of the distance you go, you should probably eat several pieces of fruit or a few cups of chopped fruit. Assorted...
21 Jun
That makes sense. I have seen a different school of thought that suggests working out before eating burns more fat.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
May 22, 2013 2:11pm
via Android

I personally seem to run out of energy real quick. My performance is not as good if I excersice on an empty stomach than excersicing after eating something. But maybe that's coz I'm sorta new to excersicing? Btw I usually wait for a few hours after having my meal of course.
I think you should try both and see what works best for you..everyone's different.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51