How to spice up my walk?

5 posts | Original | Recent
7 Posts
May 29, 2015 5:14am
via Android

I'm trying to get back in shape and lose some weight. There's a great trail in my neighborhood that I go walking on, but I'm finding myself getting bored. Any exercises I can do on my walk to switch things up and take my workout to the next level?

99 Posts
May 29, 2015 3:58pm
via Android

Maybe do a mix of walking and jogging. Or put on some music that will get you in the zone.

269 Posts
May 29, 2015 9:45pm
via iOS
I have two sections on my 2.5 mile walk that I do lunges. I have walked with high knees, or pick a spot and do squats. Usually I'm in it to see how fast I can do the 2.5, my end goal is to do it in 32-34 min. I'm at 37.50
821 Posts
May 29, 2015 11:29pm
via Android

Weighted vest. Sprint intervals. Walking lunges. Skip lol

280 Posts
May 29, 2015 11:33pm

Here are a few suggestions for making your daily walk interesting.

Try a pair of walking poles You’ll burn some extra calories and get a synergistic workout without the muscle strain that can occur from walking with weights.

Head for town or for the mall. Sometimes nature just isn’t calling. You may be more entertained window shopping. Walking errands you normally drive to can give you a different perspective on your neighborhood and having a specific destination can make the walk seem more purposeful.

Try out some tunes. Listening to music is always an invigorating option. Or download a pod cast or pick up some books on tape from your local library and listen while you walk. Just make sure you’re in a place that’s safe from hazards and where you’re not totally alone and unaware of your surroundings.

Seek out soothing scenery. Got water nearby? A walk around a lake or along a river or canal is always a pleasure. “Breathing in” the greenery and watery reflections can soothe your soul and reduce the effects of stress.

Access hills for at least a one day a week heart healthy challenge. If you’re a flat lander, find some stadium stairs or other architectural feature to include in a walk. Stair-climbing is a fast, efficient workout. I walk on a flat tow path for two miles, then climb five flights of steps up to a bridge that brings me back to my car down a different shady street

Be environmentally-conscious in your purpose. If you need to buy something - like milk or juice, head for a convenience store within walking distance and think about how you are helping to prevent climate change by leaving the car at home. Think about other walks you can do to help protect the climate, rather than taking the car.

Think of walks as an approach to get rid of problems. If there is something bothering you, go walk and think wisely about the problem you have. The exercise will be good for you and will clear your thoughts and problems. As you walk (and you probably won't even notice the walk), think through all the issues, options and action ideas that you were struggling with indoors. Things will start to become clearer.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51