7 posts | Original | Recent
5 Posts
Apr 3, 2014 2:31am
Alright this is my challenge for myself too. I'm a highschooler and I play on my varsity basketball tram. My one challenge for myself Is to get a better vertical so I can dunk next season! Tell me how you guys do and leave some tips and pointers for me!! Thanks!!
06 Jul
Try some plyometrics!!! I'm 5'8 1/2 and been dunking since my sophmore yr in hs. Play some college and now im 28 and still just out the gym but not like I use to.
397 Posts
Apr 3, 2014 3:20am
via iOS
Squat!!! And low hoop pratice dunka will get you at least 36inchs if your not heavy( fat )
03 Apr
Na I'm not fat. I got an athletic build. What do you mean by low hoop practice?
03 Apr
Find and adjustble hoop and practice hard dunks on 8 ft - 9 1/2 ft , like example my goal is to dunk inbetween the legs on 10ft normal goal but currently only can do it on 91/2 use to be 6 months ago 9 ft only
03 Apr
Oh alright I get it! Thanks. I'm 5'8" and I can touch rim just can't get that extra few inches to dunk! So I'll try squats and low rim dunks and tell you how it goes. Thanks man!
11 Posts
Apr 3, 2014 2:06pm
via Android

I can't help you with the dunking part, but what one of my basketball coaches made me do to get a higher vertical was to jump ropeYou need leg strength to be able to jump, so like John said, squats are good, but don't forget about the rest of your legs.  Make sure you are strengthening you calf muscles.  My coach made me do 500 heel raises each dayAlso, rim touches (or in my case, backboard touches) are also pretty good at strengthening the legs and making yourself more explosive.

139 Posts
Apr 3, 2014 7:03pm
via Android

Plyometrics(box jumps, depth jumps, progressive line jumps/hops etc..)
Olympic lifts(dead lifts, cleans and snatches)

1018 Posts
Apr 3, 2014 9:39pm
via Android

Its not just strenght its also technique. One thing you need to learn/do is generate strenght from your hips and ur posterior chain. Olympic lifts, deadlifts and squats next to pylo work. Wil help you to understand the movements and at the same time developed strenght were needed.

9 Posts
Apr 3, 2014 9:52pm
via Android

I do track and field... (6'1" and I do the triple jump) the 4 best vertical jump (and lateral jump) exercises are box jumps (increase height and reps continually) star hops, (Google them) rope jumping, and a lateral (side to side) jumping over an object. (Increase height of object weekly)

8 Posts
Jun 25, 2014 4:11am
via Android

If your 5'5 is possible that this will work for me??

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51