Knee injury is there a way to work around it?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Sep 4, 2014 9:11am
via Android

I have a problem with my right knee. I can walk on it I just can't bend while putting pressure on it, or run, or ride a bike. Which takes out a lot of exercises. I don't want to leave out my right leg either. I need exercises that make me feel the burn and get my heart pumping, but won't involve bending and putting pressure on my knee. Have any ideas?

04 Sep
Maybe some pilates and/or yoga? You probably won't be able to do all of it, but a lot of it is mat work so most of it won't put much pressure on your knee. For cardio you can walk, jog lightly at intervals if you can jog at all, and maybe power jacks would be possible (low impact variety of jumping jacks). Only you know the limitations your injury puts on you. You may need to alter some routines with low impact alternatives.
04 Sep
Swimming is the best possibility, like backstroke and freestyle but important NO breaststroke, if swimming's not yours try water aerobics, it burns lots of extra fat ....:)
30 Sep
Without letting your backside off the hook, exercises like step-ups and leg presses are more gentle on the knee yet still work the same muscles. You can do Leg Presses, Step-ups, Reverse Lunges, Deadlifts and Lying harmstring curls. You can read more here: http://www.fitsugar.com/Leg-Exercises-Dont-Hurt-Knees-3714275
Image_thumb
231 Posts
Sep 5, 2014 4:55am
via Android

Knee ups. (maybe tie your foot to your leg while doing it for less pain) And then for your calves go from standing, to tiptowing real high lower then reappeat. AWESOME leg without right their.

Image_thumb
37 Posts
Sep 5, 2014 12:29pm
via Android

I also have knee problems and I use a knee bandage when doing workouts. It helps to stabilise your knee. You could also try taping your knee. Riding a bike usually is a good exercise for people with knee injuries but your bike need to have the right size and also your saddle position is very important.  You could also try rowing. At first you should try to strengthen the muscles supporting your knee. The easiest workout for this is to put a ball between your knees and try to press them together. You can do this whenever you're sitting. Try to do this as often as possible. If you want something more difficult I recommend this workout: The Doctor's Adductors But try to avoid deep squats and lunges. This could put to much pressure on your knee. Best with your recovery :) !!!

Mici_thumb
7 Posts
Sep 6, 2014 9:04pm
via Android

Hi Emily, I know that cycling and swimming work best because our joints aren't that stressed during these activities. Regarding the knee gadgets, others have already replied ^^

Sep 30, 2014 2:34am
via iOS
Build your cardio using a hand cycle! Then you can focus on strengthening your legs in tasks such as calf raises, leg lifts and for your strong knee you can do things like single leg leg press. Or single leg biking if you have the strap tightened over your foot so the one foot can push and pull.
Best bet is to see a Physio about ways to start encorperating your injured leg again because not bending your knee can be quite debilitating.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51