To eat or not to eat protein bars!?!?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Feb 2, 2015 2:14pm
via iOS
I got these protein bars to eat for after workout.... But they are 200 calories and 5 grams of sugar! I usually go to the gym around 6 ish at night and then come home and cook dinner but 200 calories seem like a lot after working so hard to burn those calories off! So the question im trying to get to is the 200 calorie protein bar worth it?
02 Feb
Don't eat them.
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Feb 2, 2015 2:51pm
via iOS
My personal opinion is a big NO 
I'd prefer a piece of chicken or jerky as a last resort.
You can also make your own protein bars much cheaper and with way less of the unhealthy crap they put in protein bars to make them taste better 
They're better than chocolate though so I wouldn't beat yourself up if you wanna have one 
02 Feb
I don't really like them much and I usually very and eat chicken for dinner after my workouts anyways!!
Image_thumb
61 Posts
Feb 2, 2015 3:27pm
via Android

For me, Its a big NO! If you must eat protein bars either make or you can get  some of these granola bars that are 90 calorie instead of 200. No way !!!

Grayshirtface_thumb
96 Posts
Feb 2, 2015 3:45pm

I only have them if I've planned ahead to have them. I found one that I really like that has 2g of sugar, 32g of protein, and 320 calories. While I'd much rather have a piece of chicken (like Scotty) there are times when I cannot. If you do eat a protein bar I highly recommend drinking AT LEAST 8 oz of water with it to help with digestion.

The calories shouldn't be a problem. Remember that you burn calories just by being awake. I recommend going to a site like http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to figure out approximately how many calories you burn on an average day. That will help you figure out how many calories to eliminate to safely lose weight. Remember that calories are not the enemy, they're how we get our energy. Eating too many is the problem. And if you don't use a site or an app to help you track your calories I recommend trying one out. I use MyFitnessPal and so far it has worked well for me.

One thing I never do is substitute a protein bar (or a protein powder) for a meal. The most ideal source of all of your nutrients should be as natural as possible. Take the time to prepare a meal plan, then prepare your meals in advance. It's a lot of front-loaded work but it is SO WORTH IT.

02 Feb
Thanks I'll def check that out!
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Feb 2, 2015 3:46pm
via Android

If I wanna grant myself an extra protein boost, especially after a tough weightlifting session, I go with sardines: almost 25% of protein (exceeds beef or eggs, only chicken breast is close), only 5% fat, almost Zero carbs, low calories and a lot of healthy omega-3 fatty acids.

04 Feb
Ew!! Couldn't I use some other kind of fishy?
04 Feb
Salmon is good of you are not a sardine fan
04 Feb
It's really tasty! :-)
04 Feb
Salmon is also good, but has more fat, less protein and more calories
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jul 14, 2016 4:59pm

Hey there. Interesting question and it's normal to get so many different opinions. I added them to my, after workout routine, for over a year now and I can say that they have a positive effect so far. You should check out this article about protein bars and see for yourself.

My personal favorite is the Chocolate Coconut but I love all of their products because they are gluten free!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51